• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 cherokee water line?

chris y

NAXJA Forum User
Ok im wanting to know theres a line on the side of the resovoir tank it comes out to a like y fitting it has a plastic piece and right also attatched to it theres a sort of round canister that has like mabye a vac line to it..the line that has a small plastic piece broke where the plastic piece is its about a 3/4 line the one coming from resivoir what is the little plastic connector piece can it be deleted it has an arrow on it..thanks for any help.

Well the little black fitting with arrow broke and looks like all the fittings are not made to be switched out so looked like you need whole new hose all way to thermostat houseing so i was thinking about cutting the metal line thats right past the plastic fitting and rehooking with clamp but looks like you would also loose that valve think with the vac hose hooked to it what does that do?you would still be running to resovoir..

Well the little black fitting with arrow broke and looks like all the fittings are not made to be switched out so looked like you need whole new hose all way to thermostat houseing so i was thinking about cutting the metal line thats right past the plastic fitting and rehooking with clamp but looks like you would also loose that valve think with the vac hose hooked to it what does that do?you would still be running to resovoir..

You can use a hack saw to cut off the factory crimped clamps then just use screw clamps. Looks like this?

1018946720.jpg

heater control valve opens and allows coolant to flow into the heater core for heat. It also closes and blocks the flow when air conditioning is selected. It should be removable and readily available in the aftermarket for replacement. I'd say keep it there to simplify the changing of hoses (less rearranging and creating of a coolant tree)

Yes thats the pic that plastic piece where the arrow is broke so i had thought of hacksawing it right after the valce and hose clamping it but didnt know what valve was so your saying cut it off and you can buy that unit without the hoses and clamp it?or can you just delete it?

Yes thats the pic that plastic piece where the arrow is broke so i had thought of hacksawing it right after the valce and hose clamping it but didnt know what valve was so your saying cut it off and you can buy that unit without the hoses and clamp it?or can you just delete it?

Yes you can get an aftermarket one and just cut the crimped clamps off and use screw clamps. I'd keep it for the reasons above.

Well i guess i will be heading to parts store for it..man that stinks just replaced the resevoir and water pump then the valve got hit and broke:(

True that specially since it started out as a 200 cherokee and now have tons in it and havent ever drove it around the block yet..:eeks1:

I like buying and fixing up XJ's but you don't make money doing it. I just hate to see them go to the junkyard.

Well mine is clean i did some tradeing for it and odometer says 369000 pretty crazy..now it sports a 8.5 lift..if i can take care of all these small bugs..

Replacing the heater coolant control valve is one option, or as mentioned earlier many have simply eliminated it, as Chryco did on the later model XJs.

Problem is the later ones were designed that way, meaning more efficient system. The early ones might not cool so well with coolant flowing all the time.

I still have mine, but I am planning to eliminate it on the next coolant change.

I have inquired of numerous posters if they have experienced any heat problems in the cabin after eliminating theirs, so far all have said no problems.

If you eliminate the valve, coolant will flow through the heater core constantly. If you service the system like it is supposed to be serviced, then the odds of ending up with a plugged heater core will be reduced substantially by the year-round flow.

Back