• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf Spring Bushings (again)

egon

Dunlop Slayer
NAXJA Member
Ok you anoraks, I did search, and found diddly. The Googles failed me too.

I have 5.5" RE leaves and need to replace the bushings. Yup, 2" fronts, 1.5" at the shackles. Yeah, I know RE sells them even though they don't list them on their site. Oh, and no poly. Anyway, I'm being bitter and getting off topic.

Does anyone have a Clevite part number (or any part number for that matter) and/or an OE application that uses the same bushings. Thanks and cheers.

--Matt

Negative. OE bushings are larger.

--Matt

Many moons ago when I put in the Big Offroad springs, I used a poly bushing in the front eyes, and a factory rubber in the rear eyes. The rear eyes are probably the same as factory, so you should be able to get them from the dealer. www.teamcherokee.com seems to have a decent price on the poly (yeah, I know you don't want poly..), or you could try polygraphite here www.p-s-t.com (I am putting new polygraphite spring bushings on my 69 Camaro... not sure if they have them for XJ's though).

Andy, thanks for the site recommendation, lots of good stuff there. The RE springs don't use OE size bushings though.

I'd go back outside and measure the RE and the stock bushings. But it's cold out. And it's dark under my porch. And I'm in my jammies.

Maybe tomorrow.

--Matt

I'd go back outside and measure the RE and the stock bushings. But it's cold out. And it's dark under my porch. And I'm in my jammies.

Maybe tomorrow.

--Matt
So put on your big boy jammies and go out there and measure them :spin1:

Yeah, I feel you on that one. It took me quite a while to stop whining and go outside and install my new headlights tonight.

I personally wouldn't want to spend 72 bucks for a bushing set - maybe I'm just a cheap bastard, but I'm used to spending like 6-7 bucks each for OE bushings.

:shiver::shiver:

Stengel brothers in whitehall pa, I purchased them it is the RB71 and the RB 121,if I am not mistaked, Rustys did the same stupid thing also, must be the same vendor. Undersized bushings are the reason for the premature failures. DESIGNED TO FAIL. That is why they only have a 6 month bushing waranty. Oh yeah i forgot to tell you the pricce was like 42 bucks to my door.

http://stengelbros.3dcartstores.com/RB-121_p_6804.html#
http://stengelbros.3dcartstores.com/RB-71_p_6867.html
There are the two links to the bushings I got last year. they dont seem any beter or worse than the ones that were in there orgionally, but they are a lot cheaper. I got the info from Zach at Rusty's, I pressed him hard enough, when mine went bad after one year, and never been wheeled at that point. I wasnt paying 60 bucks for them from Rusty's,a nd then they told me the RB sizes that they were,a nd admitted to the flaw, and thenewer springs no longer use the smaller eyes.

It actually depends on the purchase/manufacture date of the springs,both my sets use the larger (old style)bushings.

xjnuttier - Thank you for the part numbers.

RCP Phx - How old are your springs? Both my 3.5" pack (2001) and 5.5" pack (2004) use the same smaller bushings.

--Matt

xjnuttier - Thank you for the part numbers.

RCP Phx - How old are your springs? Both my 3.5" pack (2001) and 5.5" pack (2004) use the same smaller bushings.

--Matt

I put my lift on 2 years ago in July of 2007, from what i understood from Zach at Rusty's offoad was that the newer springs have the factory sized eye bushings..

I'm the same boat, I purchased my RE 3.5" leafs Just over a year ago (Dec 2008) from Fullsizexj, Installed them late Jan 09, Now the rear bushings are shot,
What size bushings do I need?
And Where can I get a set of bushings that are going to last more than a year?
I have to say I went with RE Leaf packs because I thought they were very high quality, I never expected to be replacing bushings less than a year after the install,
My OE springs went into the garbage with good bushings on them even after more than 6 years of use!

http://stengelbros.3dcartstores.com/RB-121_p_6804.html#
http://stengelbros.3dcartstores.com/RB-71_p_6867.html
There are the two links to the bushings I got last year. they dont seem any beter or worse than the ones that were in there orgionally, but they are a lot cheaper. I got the info from Zach at Rusty's, I pressed him hard enough, when mine went bad after one year, and never been wheeled at that point. I wasnt paying 60 bucks for them from Rusty's,a nd then they told me the RB sizes that they were,a nd admitted to the flaw, and thenewer springs no longer use the smaller eyes.

Do you happen to have the size for verification? I'd like to just go poly for my bushings in my Rusty's leafs, but I don't want to pay Rusty's over inflated price for them if I don't have to and can find them elsewhere for cheaper.

I took the RB71 and RB121 numbers to NAPA had they ordered me a complete set. Total cost, a whopping $21, shipped. I'll post info and dimensions once they arrive so hopefully we can track down an OE application that uses the same bushings for future reference.

--Matt

I took the RB71 and RB121 numbers to NAPA had they ordered me a complete set. Total cost, a whopping $21, shipped. I'll post info and dimensions once they arrive so hopefully we can track down an OE application that uses the same bushings for future reference.

--Matt
and then????

Back