• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Move or remount Renix Computer under dash??

csr_011

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone done this, if so, do you have some do's/dont's on it?

My bracket is plain wore out and it allows the computer to shake. Somewhere in the plugs on the computer is a short that I cannot find...

Has anyone successfully remounted their Renix Computer elsewhere, if so, how and where?

Thanks!

Cory

all i can say from working on electronics in airplanes everyday is LABEL EVERY WIRE be for you remove it from the plug the move wouldn't be that hard but your going to end up with a splice in every wire in the harness and that just adds a potential failure point

What year is you Renix? Mines already located under the dash at the top of the tranny tunnel. All my electronics are tucked away under the dash. Unless you have a AMC Jeep which might explain it being possitioned different then my Diamler Jeep.

XJoshua said:
What year is you Renix? Mines already located under the dash at the top of the tranny tunnel. All my electronics are tucked away under the dash. Unless you have a AMC Jeep which might explain it being possitioned different then my Diamler Jeep.

AMCs are set up the same way - Chrysler didn't change anything until 1991, when they stuck their own electronics in there. I've got an 87, an 88, and three 89's - and the ECUs are all in the same place. I haven't seen a 1990 yet, but I've no reason to suspect it will be different (since ChryCo took over in mid-88, and was making them in 1989...)

5-90

langer1 said:
What can wear out? It's just a plate with three holes in it.
x2,
if it's loose it probably need the screws tightened. Either that or wire tie it tight to the plate. No need to reinvent the wheel, just fix the problem.

Bottom line, anything is possible, and yes, you can move your ECM to anyplace you want; but why? When I installed a Chevy into my '88, I looked high and low under the dash for a convenient place to install the Chevy's ECM. Turns out, IMO, the stock Renix location was the best place. I actually used the Renix mount, modified to accept the Chevy ECM. As I recall, the Renix bracket is held in place by two bolts at the very top. Hard to get to, but reasonably accessible. The ECM bolts to the bracket. It would be easier to remove the bracket, with the ECM attached and determine why it's so loose. Also, inspect the wires going into the plugs to determine what's loose (your "short"). Get a spray can of good electrical contact cleaner and spray the contacts to clean and protect from corrosion.

Back