• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny problem.

vincepru

NAXJA Forum User
so i have been putting alot of miles on my rig recently and a few days ago when i was driving back home in a snowstorm i could smell atf fluid burning. later on that evening i hopped back in the xj to go to my gf's house and my check engine light came on. last night as i was driving around i noticed that my reverse lights are constantly on, when in park, drive, reverse... also i dont know if its just me being paranoid but it feels like the tranny is slipping a little, but im not sure.

i got the codes pulled and here they are P0700 and P0705. can anybody help me out here?

i did, they had no idea what to tell me.

right now everything that ive been reading leads to the NSS being the problem. but the difference is that my reverse lights are always on, whereas the other people who have this problem is the opposite.

the nss will freeze and snow on it will make the lights on it did it to my jeep last winter as for the trans fluid is it dripping from the inspection plate or the trans pan and how rapid is the dripping?
i just did the trans seals on mine i distroyed the bearing and the front pump seal and i would go through a whole trans flush in 2 weeks

my return line was leaking badly for a week a little bit ago, i just fixed the line and there is no leaking anywhere as far as i can tell. so if i knock the snow off the NSS and take it off and clean it it might fix my problem? ill do that as soon as i can get my jeep in the garage. its freezing out now.

hows your fluid level? have you recently changed the fluid?

thats the problem. mopar atf +4 is death to an AW4. it uses dexII or dexIII only. even the drain plug is marked DII

4 quarts of oil is a complete oil change if one did not drop the oil pan. You may have slipped the clutches too much and they (started to) burned.

thats the problem. mopar atf +4 is death to an AW4. it uses dexII or dexIII only. even the drain plug is marked DII

shit, seriously? the guy at the dealership told me that i should use this stuff. :soapbox:

im gonna pull the pan this week, and do a complete flush. then go cuss out the fawking stealership parts guy.

I have Been Running ATF+4 For over 6 months now. With no issues. The Factory Service Info has even been currected to allow and recomend the use of ATF+4 in the AW4. They where having problems when ATF+4 came out, in many transmmition so the formula was revised and it is now safe to run in the AW4. When I switched mine I did a full fluid exchange with a BG tranny flush machine, The old XJ hasnt ever shifted as well as it does now. I would not expect the fluid to be your problem.

Mine is a 94

Andy

I've had several "parts" guys try and sell me the ATF+4 because that's what the computer says however dex/merc is what's been in mine from birth and I intend to keep it that way. To the OP I recently had the trans lines disconnected from the quick disconnects and I noticed o-rings inside the brass fittings, they looked like the green o-rings that are used on the a/c system. You can get a misc pack of these type rings for a few bucks at napa. I'm thinking the freezing weather may have hardened the o-rings out and started to drip, the fittings are right on top of the exhaust pipe so if they were leaking it would drip right on the pipe.

I just came Across this while Searching, Which is the same thing I read before I did my flush.

Location http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/opinions-replacing-aw4-transmission-fluid-685974/index2.html

I hope this helps, Just don’t want you to freak out about a fluid myth

Andy

NUMBER: 21-014-07
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: October 16, 2007
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 21-010-06, DATED APRIL 14, 2006, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDES THE ADDITION OF THE ASIAN WARNER (AW4) TRANSMISSION AND ADDITIONAL MODELS AND YEARS.
SUBJECT:
Automatic Transmission Fluid Usage ATF+4 (Type M59602)
MODELS:
1997-2006 (TJ) Wrangler
2001 - 2004 (WG) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)
Vehicles equipped with Gas engines
1999 - 2004 (WJ) Grand Cherokee
2005 - **2008** (WK/WH) Grand Cherokee
2006 - **2008** (XK/XH) Commander
1989 - 1995 (YJ) Wrangler
**1989 - 2001 (XJ) Cherokee**
**1989 - 1993 (MJ) Comanche**
1996 - 1998 (ZG) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)
1994 - 1998 (ZJ) Grand Cherokee/Grand Wagoneer
NOTE :**AWA (Asian Warner) transmission are now included in this Service Bulletin. ATF+4(R) is recommended for AW-4 (Asian Warner) transmissions**

With reverse lights constantly on and the 0700 and 0705 codes I gotta think that this is an NSS issue (plus other issues possibly). I would clean the NSS and then go from there. There is almost no other reason that your reverse lights are on all the time - it's almost gotta be the NSS.

ok mini hijack... anyone know about the royal purple tranny fluid? ive been slowly transfusing that into my system cause i cant find dex II or III anywhere... it claims to be good for every system. i do know for sure that ATF-4 was bad for the AW4 tranny, but that was a while back and maybe it has improved

i do know for sure that ATF-4 was bad for the AW4 tranny, but that was a while back and maybe it has improved

I agree at one time it was Horrible for the AW4 but the ATF+4 on the shelves today is no longer the same fluid. (So I have been told) I do tend to belive that because mine is currently running it. The only reason I have posted the above is because of this

shit, seriously? the guy at the dealership told me that i should use this stuff. :soapbox:

im gonna pull the pan this week, and do a complete flush. then go cuss out the fawking stealership parts guy.

I dont want the OP running in screaming to the Stealership telling them they ruined his AW4 and looking like a fool because of miss information.

Just trying to help

so a few nights ago my car was on ice in the driveway headed for my garage wall. i slammed it in reverse and gunned it, it stopped the jeep and also cleared my check engine light! i took it for a spin and everything is working great again, OD works fine, and its shifting how its supposed to...

:roflmao:

I'd try that if I wasn't afraid my transmission will end up on the ground.

Back