• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Replacement/Removal Guide????

zPike00EB

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched here, and on a few other forums for a Engine Replacement Thread or How/To, and can't come up with anything.

Has anyone seen one around, or have a link?

4.0 in my girlfriends XJ took a dump, and we have a donor with 94,xxx. I have the shop crane waiting to be used, I just want to make sure everything is done RIGHT.

Thanks a lot guys.

I used the haynes or chilton manual. What I did was took some blue painters tape and a writing pad. I taped and numbered both ends of whatever I took off and wrote it in the pad. Little bit of a pain but when putting it back in I marked everything off as I went. Didn't forget anything and it started right up. Just start by taking off the front clip, it makes it easier to get out. By the way, this was my first engine swap, and it worked out good.

Haynes and Chiltons are just OK, they can be a little generic and have had a few mistakes pointed out. The actual factory service manual would be a better resource for you.

Most of an engine swap is common sense. Use your digital camera to take plenty of pictures of things before disassembling; comes in handy when you have parts and unplugged connectors left over when you (think) you're done! Post any snags here for comment.

Back