• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition switch help

rubiconrescue

NAXJA Forum User
Need to change out a ignition switch in a Cherokee
Details are
94 4.0 auto

Bought it at auction with no key..Ordered one and now need some help installing.
Does anyone have a write up or just a quick how to on this..I have to tackle it tomorrow and just looking to make it easier. Big thanks for any help!:patriot:

are you switching out the key lock cylinder on the steering column or the ignition switch itself? these are entirely two different parts. The ignition switch is bolted to the steering column towards the base of the column facing up.

To change the lock cylinder in the column you must first remove the steering wheel and turn signal cam. Then you will notice a torx bolt to the upper right inside the column that needs to be removed. Remove the old lock cylinder and insert the new one. Then reassemble the column. This job is quick and easy but does require a steering wheel puller.

To change the ignition switch u must remove the lower part of the dash. Then remove the bolts holding the base of the steering column to the firewall. Next remove the two nuts which hold the column to the dash supports. At this time the column should drop down and hit the seat. About half way up the column on the top is the ignition switch. Unplug connectors. Unbolt switch . Install new switch and adjust. I usually adjust the ignition switch by holding it with 1 hand with the bolts loose and turning the key with the other until i get all 3 ignition points. Off accessory and start. Then bolt everything back together.

I dont know of a specific write up with pictures but ill see if i can find any

I Bought the jeep with no key...so i need to replace im guessing the "lock cylinder"..Dang..i just ordered a ignition switch from autozone..Ive always called it that. well i guess its back to square 1. Thanks for the quick info mnaemark!..very helpful.

I Bought the jeep with no key...so i need to replace im guessing the "lock cylinder"..Dang..i just ordered a ignition switch from autozone..Ive always called it that. well i guess its back to square 1. Thanks for the quick info mnaemark!..very helpful.

Why don't you just go get a key cut by code at the dealer? As long as you have ID and proof of ownership they can cut you a key from the VIN information and then you don't have to replace any parts.

Why don't you just go get a key cut by code at the dealer? As long as you have ID and proof of ownership they can cut you a key from the VIN information and then you don't have to replace any parts.
dealership said it was to old...

are you switching out the key lock cylinder on the steering column or the ignition switch itself? these are entirely two different parts. The ignition switch is bolted to the steering column towards the base of the column facing up.

To change the lock cylinder in the column you must first remove the steering wheel and turn signal cam. Then you will notice a torx bolt to the upper right inside the column that needs to be removed. Remove the old lock cylinder and insert the new one. Then reassemble the column. This job is quick and easy but does require a steering wheel puller.

To change the ignition switch u must remove the lower part of the dash. Then remove the bolts holding the base of the steering column to the firewall. Next remove the two nuts which hold the column to the dash supports. At this time the column should drop down and hit the seat. About half way up the column on the top is the ignition switch. Unplug connectors. Unbolt switch . Install new switch and adjust. I usually adjust the ignition switch by holding it with 1 hand with the bolts loose and turning the key with the other until i get all 3 ignition points. Off accessory and start. Then bolt everything back together.

I dont know of a specific write up with pictures but ill see if i can find any

I removed the wheel, turn sig cam and the torx bolt..Lock and tumbler refuse to come out...:explosion

IIRC, if its like my 89, there is a little spring and lever mechanism under the tumble to keep it in. not a fun job, just need patience.

It the key in buzzer switch and spring. Depending on year there is either a push to release tab in a slot or a torx bit grub screw holding it in.

dealership said it was to old...
I bet you can make a key for it. Get half a dozen blanks that fit it from Home Depot (they'll sell you blanks, just figure out which one it is and pick up a handful of them, bring them to the register, you might want to only pick up one or two and go back if you screw up otherwise they'll think you are trying to steal a car or something.) Since the lock wafers are not perfectly machined, they will bind one at a time if you try to start it with a blank. So turn the blank till it stops turning, keep pressure on it, and move it very very slightly in and out of the lock... this will rub a small mark on the side of the blank. You can use that to use a file to grind that spot to approximately the right height, always grind conservatively because it's easier to grind more than add some back. Also make sure you slope the sides of each cut like a normal key or you won't be able to get the key back out!

Every time you repeat this, you should get a mark on the key, grind a little more depth on that spot and repeat. If it's a double sided like my 96 you only need to grind one side of the key, once you get it working you can copy that to the other side (on a new blank, avoid screwing up the only working key you have.) Also, the blank at Home Depot is the AXXESS+ number 19 (for a 96, probably a 94 as well.)

Another tactic you can use, if your glovebox has a lock, is to disassemble that lock. If you want I can post more info on how to do that. It'll give you the depths of the last 3 wafers, but not the first 3. If your doors and ignition were keyed alike originally you can also pull a cylinder out of a door and either disassemble it and use the info to make yourself a key, or bring it to a locksmith who can do the same.

EDIT: also, as well as the turn-and-move-key method of marking it for cutting, you can probably get a decent idea by putting a very thin layer of paint or permanent marker on it and doing this. That may be slightly easier to work with.

Have a locksmith in your town?

Call them, tell them what you have, they can probably cut a key from the VIN, even if the idiots at the dealership can't.

Back