• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone running 1/2 ton Chevy leafs?

JRW7072009

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to buy a set of Chevy half ton rear leafs for dirt cheap from a friend. I was wondering if anyone here is running them, if so how well do they work, how did you install them?

I am planning to move the front spring hanger forward and run the rear off a custom built hanger. Just looking at it I mat have to build the rear bumper around it or at least make room for the shackle to move.

What do you guys think? Any help would be cool.

I got the idea from this guy, he is a store mgr of another shop I work for and he brought his XJ in and I got to drool all over it for about a week.
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803553

Thanks,

I had 1/2 ton Chev leaves in the rear of my XJ, but with an MJ main leaf. What length are the Chev springs?

Anything is possible if you can do some fab work. The ride and lift height will be completely trial and error, but it's not hard to make adjustments.

I ran one full length leaf out of a half ton chevy when I made my first attempt at a bastard pack. It had the harshest ride of anything I had ever driven. The back end just bounced all over the place when I hit bumps in the road.

I had 1/2 ton Chev leaves in the rear of my XJ, but with an MJ main leaf. What length are the Chev springs?

Anything is possible if you can do some fab work. The ride and lift height will be completely trial and error, but it's not hard to make adjustments.

I have a welder and all the tools I need at work. I am guessing/hoping I will get around 3-4"s of lift. He is running 38" tires and has some pretty long shackles in the rear but they are at a pretty good angle as well. I think they will be a good start with my 2" shackles if not I agree its not hard to make adjustments.

I know they are longer and will flex more, but we put one up to a 3" leaf pack for a XJ and were about they same arch.

So are you going to run the 63" springs like he has? or the older 52", 56" springs?

Yes the ones I am looking to buy are the 63" springs.

I ran one full length leaf out of a half ton chevy when I made my first attempt at a bastard pack. It had the harshest ride of anything I had ever driven. The back end just bounced all over the place when I hit bumps in the road.

Well I drove in the XJ in the link and I have driven a bunch of Toyotas with these leaf packs and the ride is very nice and they flex nice too.

Last edited:
Back