• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check Engine Light! Jeep is going crazy! Help!..

Cobrajay

NAXJA Forum User
So my girl had my XJ today and when she pulled up at my job she tells me "She stalled out twice in a parking lot and the Check Guages light came on and the Check engine light came on" I work at AutoZone so I pulled the OBDII scanner out right away and got these following codes:

P0700-

Car and Van
Definition- Transaxle control system fault
Explanation- ECM received a signal that the transaxle control module has a fault.
Probable cause- Shorted or open circuit within transaxle
OR Failure of transaxle control module

P1694-

Definition- CCD messages received from the ECM
Explanation- ECM has not received any CCD messages from the Aisin trans module within the ECM.
Probable causes- CCD bus line open OR Failed ECM

P1698-

Definition- Fault-no CCD message from TCM
Explanation- Failed ECM
Probable cause- Open CCD bus line OR Failed TCM

I drove it home and my guages are going off then back to normal and the dash lights, radio, interior lights are all flickering like crazy. I was cruising down the road and the RPM's jumped up slightly and jumped back down. WTH? Anyone experience this?

... what year?

Sounds like you have a grounding issue affecting the ECU, TCU, or cluster, or maybe a wiring harness corrosion problem involving the CCD bus lines. You may also have a blown fuse for the TCU, or perhaps (if it's a 97+ this looks likely) one of the solenoids in your AW-4's valve body has shorted or opened or a the wiring harness to the transmission has an open/short circuit in it, causing the TCU to think the solenoids are bad.

What I'd do:
* check fuses and make sure all relevant connectors are clean and snug
* unplug cable to valve body, measure resistance of each solenoid, make sure they are within nominal ranges
* make sure the TCU is getting power

See if any of these turn up useful info. The gauges flickering makes me think it's a CCD bus issue, not a TCU issue, but the stalling makes me think it also might have a TCU/transmission issue. The RPMs jumping up slightly and then back down was your torque converter unlocking and then locking again, this happens to me occasionally, it could be the cause of your P0700 transaxle control system fault message.

Its a 98 with a 99 motor. What does CCD and TCU stand for? The tranny fluid is fine. Full and brand new. I also noticed that the flickering of the lights mostly happens when I hit bumps...its gotta be a bad connection somewhere. My radio is cutting out most of the time. Really weird. I hate electrical issues. The worst.

trace the ground. each & every one of them, AFTER makin sure all the fuses are in tight.
more than likely you have a loose ground somewhere. that's what it sounds like now.

can't say that i blame you on hating electrical issues, i hate them too!

CCD is Chrysler Collision Detection bus. It's a multi-master, differential signaled serial communications bus used for various vehicle computer systems to talk to each other. TCU is the Transmission Control Unit, it's the small computer box that controls the transmission, and is mounted on the transmission tunnel on the driver side up under the dashboard above the gas pedal and sorta next to the steering column.

Really sounds like a ground issue to me now, I think I heard about a ground wire up under the dashboard somewhere that sometimes comes loose, also check the bulkhead connector and make sure your grounds under the hood are all snug and solid too. Bad grounds will confuse the hell out of the vehicle electronics, as they no longer have a proper reference voltage for the CCD bus signals and sensor signals so everything seems wacky.

Ok, well I took it out tonight. Its deff a loose connection of some sort. Every bump triggered these problems. One bump was so bad that it shut everything off. Took a second or two to start back up. I'll go over everything in the am before work. I'll post up the problem if I find it. Thanks guys....

Did you ever find out where the issue was at? I am having the issues of the lights flickering on and off, I have tried to look for a loose ground but have not found one as of yet, when my son called and told me of it, I was just going to have pull the #16 fuse, but the darn thing powers the TCU (who is the genius that thought that one up?), why can't it be like a TJ and just power the lights....

Did you ever find out where the issue was at? I am having the issues of the lights flickering on and off, I have tried to look for a loose ground but have not found one as of yet, when my son called and told me of it, I was just going to have pull the #16 fuse, but the darn thing powers the TCU (who is the genius that thought that one up?), why can't it be like a TJ and just power the lights....

Which lights are flickering? Any other issues?

Warning to others, this a year old thread.

I realize that it is over a year old, but doing a search comes up with the trouble that I am having, the interior lights are flashing on and off, on when I hit a bump, then off again at the next one. the only other issue is the license plate light doesn't work, but I had some painting done to repair rust, and I believe that they didn't get the connector together at the top of the rear hatch.

BTW 99 XJ Classic
4.0 L
Auto

No problem, I was just warning new readers not to over read the old posts, as it sounds like you have just one the symptoms of the OP.

I realize that it is over a year old, but doing a search comes up with the trouble that I am having, the interior lights are flashing on and off, on when I hit a bump, then off again at the next one. the only other issue is the license plate light doesn't work, but I had some painting done to repair rust, and I believe that they didn't get the connector together at the top of the rear hatch.

BTW 99 XJ Classic
4.0 L
Auto

I would start by checking, and cleaning the battery post connections, and ground connections under the hood for the battery ground. Then check the ignition switch and wires at the ignition switch. Also check for loose fuses in the fuse box. Look for loose, corroded, or melted places in the wiring.

Sorry, but that is about all I can tell you, as all my jeeps are late 80's vintage.

Alternator or battery may be going bad!!! Drive to a parts store and ask them to load test them, and have them run an OBD-II scan for pending codes.

Back