• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Few 8.8 Swap Questions

89XJPioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and searched and have not found my answer, What brake line setup is needed to put the 8.8 under my 89xj that had a d35? any certain lines needed?? not too concerned about the ebrake though.

With disc brakes or with drum brakes? If you can find a way to mount it to the axle (tack weld a tab on?) your original brake line should work fine, you will have to do new hardlines though but that's not a big issue.

My plan is to use the stock Exploder line setup unless it is not long enough for my lift, in which case I'm going to use a 95 YJ line and tack weld a small bracket onto the axle tube to bolt it to.

Its a disc axle from a 95 exploder has a hard line in good shape... My question is more of what is needed to attach the explorer line to the XJ hard line? your saying my original as in the stock XJ line?

The problem is that the driver side line on the exploders is a funky 3-fitting one, it's got the central block (bolts to the axle housing, actually the spring perch iirc) with a flare fitting for the hardline to the passenger side, and a second rubber line that goes to the driver side caliper. If you want to use the stock rubber line from the XJ, or a YJ line, or whatever you had going to your last axle, you will want to buy a second passenger side exploder line and some more hardline to form into two new lines (a short one and a long one, like on a normal XJ axle.)

im currently stuck on trying to make the u joints work..... i have the adapter that came from the explorer and my u joint it is totaly different.... what adapter u joint do i need?

You need a flange to adapt to your driveshaft. The Ford u joint is a 1330, Jeep uses 1310. Any offroad shop would know what you need. I got all of my install parts from MORE, flange, bracketry, brake line kit and cables. You might want to rethink the E brake, God forbid your brakes fail and you won't pass inspection without one.

You need a flange to adapt to your driveshaft. The Ford u joint is a 1330, Jeep uses 1310.

the NAPA part number for the combo 1330/1310 U-joint is "353", I just looked one up last weekend for MY 8.8 swap :cheers:

214486.jpg

Bearing Type & Size : 4 Plain, 1.063 "
Fit / ID Dimensions : 3.22 " & 3.62 " Over Bearings

You can use the same intersection from your D35.

88brakelines002.jpg

im currently stuck on trying to make the u joints work..... i have the adapter that came from the explorer and my u joint it is totaly different.... what adapter u joint do i need?
Use what Grimm posted below, or if you want to do it "right" (makes it easier to borrow a trail spare ujoint as everyone will have 1310s, but costs more probably) you can go with a Dana-Spicer 2-2-1379 flange, which fits the 1310 U-joint. I got mine from alljeep.com for $21.80, the best price I could find anywhere.

the NAPA part number for the combo 1330/1310 U-joint is "353", I just looked one up last weekend for MY 8.8 swap :cheers:

214486.jpg

Bearing Type & Size : 4 Plain, 1.063 "
Fit / ID Dimensions : 3.22 " & 3.62 " Over Bearings

dude contact m.o.r.e. mountain offroad enterprises./ thay have a kit specifically for the 8.8 conversion. what i did on mine is i left the hard line on my xj where it ended. on the 8.8 it has its own hard line and a rubber line connected. not quite long enough to reach with my lift. so i just went and bought a 1 foot braided line that had my xj fitting on one end and a fitting that fit the ford side on the other end. basically i just put a 1 foot braided line /extension in and i used the e brake spring to hold it. or u can eliminate the ford 8.8 rubber line and just get an 18 inch long extension to go from the xj to the 8.8. more has the adapter yoke. it is 40 bucks and they also have the e brake kit for 125.00 and the spring perches and shock mounts for 199.00 good luck.

dude contact m.o.r.e. mountain offroad enterprises./ thay have a kit specifically for the 8.8 conversion. what i did on mine is i left the hard line on my xj where it ended. on the 8.8 it has its own hard line and a rubber line connected. not quite long enough to reach with my lift. so i just went and bought a 1 foot braided line that had my xj fitting on one end and a fitting that fit the ford side on the other end. basically i just put a 1 foot braided line /extension in and i used the e brake spring to hold it. or u can eliminate the ford 8.8 rubber line and just get an 18 inch long extension to go from the xj to the 8.8. more has the adapter yoke. it is 40 bucks and they also have the e brake kit for 125.00 and the spring perches and shock mounts for 199.00 good luck.
$40 for the flange adapter?! I am absolutely sure you can get it for way less than that from the place I linked already in this thread... because that's where I got mine.

Thanks for the amount of responses.... called all the local parts stores to find no one that was open had an adapter joint.... Tommorow im going to try napa and car quest if theyre open....

Worst comes to worst I will pull the adapter flange off my mustang as it has an 8.8 and takes the same u joint as my cherokee... should work... mustang has been parked for the winter anyways.....

I managed to find perches at a local truck shop for 28.00 and I got those welded on... shock mounts will be from a d35 to keep things simple... figured out the brake situation had rotors cut new pads..... now i need to see if I can also get the right U bolts and U joint

hit up your local truck spring rebuilder place for U-bolts, I asked the NAXJA guys I know from my area where they went and they told me about a place ~5mi from my apartment, ended up costing me $42 for 4 9/16" stock U-bolts custom bent while I waited. Make sure you find a way to make/get the spring plates that go on the other side of the spring from the perch, too. I cut mine from a piece of 10" wide 1/2" steel bar stock - cut off 6" long sections, then drilled holes such that the extra few inches of width hangs off toward the center section of the axle so that I can use them as bumpstop plates.

Well the 8.8 is in finally everything went smooth today.... except the ride home from my buddies house.... As soon as I got on the highway the rear was howling and when i say that I mean loud!... I drove about 35miles and it took me almost an hour to get home.. I didnt wanna put any more stress on it than needed....
I jacked it up when i got home and noticed the the axles have play in them enough to max the caliper slides I believe.. What could cause this?
I put 2 quarts 75-90w synthetic mobil one with 7oz tube of posi x the gears all looked to be in good shape when I had the cover off too. any help is appreciated

How do the bearings look? And the spots the bearings ride on the axleshafts?

Is this sideways play, as in axles sliding in and out of the diff, or up and down, as in axleshafts rattling around in the bearings?

bearings seemed to look real good I will check again tommorow.... The play is the axles sliding in and out of the diff..... Im kinda thinking worn center pin maybe?

I'd be concerned that your c-clip came off or broke which allowed the axle shaft to slide in/out while the caliper's the only thing that keep it in

def pop the cover and check the internals (I know, it suck as the gear lube's $$$$)

yeah you aint kiddin mobil 1 was actually cheap at $10 a quart as opposed to 20 for the purple stuff.... Im kinda fearing that i lost a c clip I will know tommorow

Back