• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear bumper mounta

CromeY90

NAXJA Forum User
just wondering how you guys mounted yours wouldn't mind some pics if any one has any just curious trying to see how i want to do mine thanks

I used the factory eight holes along with "strips" running into the rails with nuts welded on them so i could bolt up from the bottom. Sorry I dont have any build pics.

This is the best way.

I used the factory eight holes along with "strips" running into the rails with nuts welded on them so i could bolt up from the bottom. Sorry I dont have any build pics.

This is the best way.

It’s a fine way to be sure, but I’m sure the 2x4 sleeving is stronger.

take thhe 3/4" bar stock for the d rings and run it in the frame rail tie it into the hitch bolts. then add a 1/8" plate for the factory mounts you should be good plus when your pulling a toy out all the force goes right though the 3/4" and you don't have to trust your welds if you weld like i do.

mmmm......beefy. strongest rear bumper mounts for a XJ IMHO:D

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=993533

i did something similar on my bumper tire carrier. i used all 5 hitch bolts per side and also the stock 4 bumper bracket bolts each side. my bumper has a total of 18 bolts holding it on. i did the D ring tab different. my tab is 3/4" thick but made of 3 pieces. the center piece is a continuation of the 1/4" wall steel tube that the bumper mount is that runs into the frame rail. its one piece for the added strength. then there is one piece of 1/4" welded to the inside of the tube and another welded with a lap joint to the outside of the box steel tube. the edges of the 3 layers were beveled and then edge welded and ground smooth. i believe this method to be stronger than just welding a piece of 3/4" thick steel for the tabs. but i have a tendency to go a little overkill...

take thhe 3/4" bar stock for the d rings and run it in the frame rail tie it into the hitch bolts. then add a 1/8" plate for the factory mounts you should be good plus when your pulling a toy out all the force goes right though the 3/4" and you don't have to trust your welds if you weld like i do.

a lot of people have a difficult time getting good penetration into a piece of 3/4" thick steel. especially with a wire welder. and 1/8" plate to the factory mounts would not be very strong. 1/8" is quite easy to deform. i used 1/4" plate on mine but 3/16 would work fine as well.

i did something similar on my bumper tire carrier. i used all 5 hitch bolts per side and also the stock 4 bumper bracket bolts each side. my bumper has a total of 18 bolts holding it on. i did the D ring tab different. my tab is 3/4" thick but made of 3 pieces. the center piece is a continuation of the 1/4" wall steel tube that the bumper mount is that runs into the frame rail. its one piece for the added strength. then there is one piece of 1/4" welded to the inside of the tube and another welded with a lap joint to the outside of the box steel tube. the edges of the 3 layers were beveled and then edge welded and ground smooth. i believe this method to be stronger than just welding a piece of 3/4" thick steel for the tabs. but i have a tendency to go a little overkill...

a lot of people have a difficult time getting good penetration into a piece of 3/4" thick steel. especially with a wire welder. and 1/8" plate to the factory mounts would not be very strong. 1/8" is quite easy to deform. i used 1/4" plate on mine but 3/16 would work fine as well.

nothing wrong with overkill!

when i put my D-ring tabs on i cranked my MIG as high as it would go, and beveled the edges... but it is still just surface mounted... i plan on welding some 1/4 on the side of the D-ring tab and running it all the way through the bumper to the 2x4 that goes in the frame rails. when i made mine i didnt know AJ's made the through tabs :(

my tab is 3/4" thick but made of 3 pieces. the edges of the 3 layers were beveled and then edge welded and ground smooth. i believe this method to be stronger than just welding a piece of 3/4" thick steel for the tabs.

a lot of people have a difficult time getting good penetration into a piece of 3/4" thick steel. especially with a wire welder.

Very true. The sandwich style setup with a couple layers of 1/4" is a good way to go too. its alot easier for people that cant really work/have access to thick stuff. i like to bevel the sides of the 3/4" tab and make a couple of passes, a couple of plug welds thru the 1/4", and welded inside and outside of the bumper face plate.

Back