• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender flares / Tire size Questions

CherBear

NAXJA Forum User
I am considering some build options for my XJ and have found myself liking a 2 inch BB with bushwacker styled flares.

I want to keep the cost down on my rig (Why did I buy a Jeep again?) so for now a 2" will work well, but does any one know how much larger of a tire I can stuff after installing flares like these?

32s would be optimal, but I am concerned they would rub even after extended flares.

EDIT: I am also running Soft8s with 4 inch backspacing and plan on keeping these wheels after the lift/tires.

So you don't think that there is no way I can stuff 31s with a 2 inch lift? I am keeping it at 2 because I don't want to have to use a SYE.

How much trimming do you mind, if any? I know ktm racer 419 had 37s on a 2.5" lift at one point. As I recall he had to bumpstop a lot, and trim a lot though.

Really it's all up to you.

I think you'll bea able to get away with it if you bumpstop enough. You could probably do with out the bushwackers and still be within the flares. I run 33x12.5 on 4" of BS and they barely stick out. I could for the most part, clear the 33's on my 3" lift. With some trimming and bumpstoping I would've been fine but I didn't like how it looked that low. You should be able to just trim and relocate factory flares and stay legal.

muddyjeep.jpg

31's 2" pucks and blocks. Rubbed bad in the back with weight in it but didn't bumpstop. If you bumpstopped I'd say you will be fine with some minor trimming.

im running rustys flares with no inner splash shields, and i think they run more room then the bushwackers when there trimmed to make the most space

So you don't think that there is no way I can stuff 31s with a 2 inch lift? I am keeping it at 2 because I don't want to have to use a SYE.

Mine has 31's on a 2 inch lift. Dudeinanxj tells me it rubs in the rear but the front fenders are trimmed with relocated flares. I gotta bumpstop it for WF. Why are you wanting extended flares its Indiana, they don't care about tire coverage!

I have 30" tires on stock wheels with a 2"BB with factory bumpstops and nothing rubs. If you run Bushwacker cutout style flares with 31's and a 2"BB, you'll be just fine. 32's will require another inch of lift or taller bumpstops.

Mine has 31's on a 2 inch lift. Dudeinanxj tells me it rubs in the rear but the front fenders are trimmed with relocated flares. I gotta bumpstop it for WF. Why are you wanting extended flares its Indiana, they don't care about tire coverage!

Personally I'm not a big fan of the flare less look. That and its impossible to keep the Jeep clean with out them around here.
I am sure I could get away with it... God bless Indiana.

Last edited:
I don't like the flareless look either but if you relocate them they look pretty good.

I don't like the flareless look either but if you relocate them they look pretty good.

I am considering that as well, the tire already sticks out the rear with 235s on 4 inch backspacing.

I was thinking on going up to 31x10.5, which is why I wanted the extended flares.

I'll get some more pics of the Jeep tomorrow so you can see how mine are.

I would say cut a bit and move the flares up, and bump stop the rear for sure.
I am currently flareless up front since I installed the newer header panel and fenders. Then again my tires dont stick out cuz they are only 9.5" wide. I dont mind the look. But I will install newer flares when I get a matching set.

The issue with clearance is mostly at the bottom of the wheel wells rather than the top. Trimming and pounding the pinch seams flat on the inside of the wheel wells is more important than the flare location. I didn't change or remove the flares until I went to 37's. You'll need to trim some on the very bottom of the flares, but no one would even notice what you did by looking at it. I'd do the small lift and put on the tires, then trim as needed and not worrry about spending money on new flares. Besides, if you live in muddy areas the Bushackers may be OK, but otherwise they just block you being able to watch your tire when you're wheeling.

I have Rusty's 3.5" spring lift plus 2" spacers front 2" shackles rear. I put on bushwacker flares which of course means I trimmed my fenders. I run a 33x12.50x15 tsl swamper and with the sway bar disconnected, I rub into the flares at full flex. This weekend I actually took the flares off while wheeling because they were getting hit pretty bad by the tires. I have factory bumpstops and my rims aren't overly backspaced so the wheels do stick out.

I have a set of 32's that have more backspacing and they tuck very nicely but rub on the inner wheel well at full flex. My thought is that a 32 with less backspacing would be perfect with the bushwackers but the 33's with less backspacing only work when I have the flares off.

It might actually work to trim the underside of the bushwacker flare and run the 33's with no issues but I'm not anxious to cut my $350+ flares. Does anyone have any problems with rubbing on their bushwacker flares or better yet, has anyone ever trimmed bushwackers?

Back