• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rolled/Cut splines......Metal Bitches please......

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
ok I under stand that rolled splines are stronger then cut one b/c the rolled ones displace the metal cold and the cut ones heat it. At least that is the way it was explained to me, but is that the only reason? Also, how do you roll splines on a shaft? I would imagine it takes a massive machine. Does anyone on here have the equipment to roll splines on a shaft? Beezil? Anyone ealse got neto machines?

Other than heat, the main difference is that rolling the splines keeps all the matrial on the shaft. Cutting the splines removes material. There are 2 big machines that roll the splines on the shaft. Another difference is that most rolled spline shafts are hardened after they have been rolled. Whereas most cut-spline axles have the spline cut into them after the axle is hardened which makes it weaker.......

-Mike L.

Big Jeep is spot on - it's the same reason rolled threads are better than cut. Rolling on splines or threads is a sort of "mini-forging" process that gives a stronger surface, while anytime you cut bits out of a metal part, you create "stress risers" which are areas where stresses are intensified and where stress cracks will start (sort of like drilling/punching "lightening holes" in a sheet part - that's where it will break first.)

It's not really necessary to "cold form" the splines to get the extra strength, I seem to recall that the shaft will usually be heated to some degree to make the process a bit easier (forging is the precise application of both heat and pressure, just so you know.) However, the machine to do it is usually hydraulically powered, and the pressure used in several tens of tonnes per square inch (yes, tonnes - I'm referring to long tons here.)

Does anyone HERE have the equipment to roll splines? I'd really be surprised to find out we did. Go to an axle shop for that...

If you want a good entry-level engineering book, I recommend _Carroll Smith's Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners, and Plumbing_ by Carroll Smith. It's $20 well spent, and covers a lot of these little things for those with enquiring minds and a little spare time. It's written with the layman/mechanic in mind, and it's not so heavy on the advanced physics and engineering to be unreadable (and Smith has a dry wit that I find rather pleasant, to be honest...)

5-90

anytime we have a threading project, we farm that out....

we use Microroll thread in chicago.

don't know if they do one-offs, or if that answers your question

Theres a place here in Asheville that rolls splines
But If they have to make some Racks for the splines you want
Its very $$$$$$$, Because they usually do production work.
Say 50 pcs to maybe 50,000 pcs. Racks last a long time with the
proper care.
(The racks are what makes the splines)
they line up the same two racks and slide the top rack one direction and the bottom rack the opposit direction and the shaft rolls in the middle between centers and out come splines.
Its pretty cool to watch if you haven't saw it before.
It takes a strong machine, not really a big one.

Last edited:
Well......

Some on here think its a waste of time. I am working on turning a cracked Trasfer case into a crawl box. Like this.

http://www.therangerstation.com/dualtcase.htm

This guy did it with a Borg Warner and his problem was the shaft. He milled a hole and had a input shaft pressed in. I want to mill my extra shaft down and then have the correct splines/diameter for the input gear. Does that clear it up? Read the write up it was quite intresting.

sounds like a great idea :)

people thought the wright bros were wasting their time too..

there's an article on bc4x4.com about dual t-cases in an MJ, you might want to check that out.

call klune-V and see if they have info that couple point you in the right direction..

Thanks Indulf.....

I have forgoten about that article. I read it and he said what I suspected. The shaft is the problem. Just saw something about Moser cutting splines in a shaft for a 203-205 project. I might contact my cussin in law that is an enginere ove rat the Savanah River Plant. See if he is up to doing a blue print of the case and the internals needed and a working drawing of the required shaft. He loves cars and it si one of his hobbies. So he might jsut bite.

What sort of t-case will be behind the home made crawler box? That will also be a weak point as it will now be seeing over two times the torque of the stock setup.

My general plan was to run a stock 231. And this is all behind a 4 popper by the way.

Back