• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission mount?

Apostle

NAXJA Forum User
Where exactly is this? its not the cross member is it?

Looked under the rig today due to a clunking issue. motor mounts were replaced with something (newtomerig) and the tranny doesnt look like it is attached anywhere except at the cross member.

and if this is the case, what exactly am i looking for for the tranny mount to be bad?

cant find my chiltons book atm so asking here.

I recently had to replace mine too, you can take the weight off the cross member by putting the jack under the trans or t case and removing the cross mamber. It's actually a simple install, I got mine from my favorite online parts retailer rockauto.com for a reasonable price.

Hope this helps

Can this be replaced by not taking off the cross member? Can you essentially jack up the tranny enough to have enough space to replace this, or does the cross member need to come off to get to it?

take the crossmemeber off, its the easiest way to do it. the crossmember is only held on by 4 bolts, 2 at each end going into the frame rail, then the nuts in the center holding it onto the trans mount.

make sure you put the crossmember back on facing the same way, it will bolt up either way but it needs to go back on the same way it came off if you want everything to line back up when you put it back on.

It's usually difficult to check condition of transmission mount until cross member is dropped. If it's in bad shape, be sure to examine attach points for excessive wear.
If you're not sure when MM were replaced, you might want to examine them for excessive wear, too. (If they are yellow, they're probably okay.)
BTW, we always recommend changing transmission mount when changing motor mounts. Dittos on using any online parts or local parts chain for replacement transmission mount...until there's a rebuildable transmission mount on the market.

Karol

Problem is, I can't remove my cross member without taking apart have of my front suspension because of how my long arms are attached. Is this job impossible to accomplish without removing the cross member?

Problem is, I can't remove my cross member without taking apart have of my front suspension because of how my long arms are attached. Is this job impossible to accomplish without removing the cross member?

excuse my ignorance as i dont have long arms, but even with long arms, cant you drop the crossmember without disconnecting the arms? why cant you just drop the crossmember? is it welded to the frame? just curious as to what would stop the arms from dropping with the crossmember?

It's not impossible to drop the cross member, but we're talking about a many-hour job to do it. Can it be done without removal or not?

Well, I have never tried it on the XJ.

That said, there are four small studs in the mount that go through the crossmember and two nuts or bolts that attach the mount to the plate running off of the transmission.

You could try removing the four nuts to free the mount from the crossmember, then jack up the trans/transfer case and remove the two nuts/bolts, there might be room to get it out. If there isn't enough room, you might still get it out by unbolting the plate from the transmission. At least that is how my AX15 is set up.

One other suggestion--instead of removing the crossmember, how about just lowering it? Do you still have the stock two bolt/two stud arrangement? You could buy two longer bolts and install them, then remove the nuts from the studs and lower the crossmember down to rest on the longer bolts.

BTW, for what it is worth, there are two different motor mounts. One is 3 inches tall, the other is 1 1/2 inches tall. Which one you need depends on the muffler hanger.

the crossmember needs to be lowered enough to slide the new mount in. so that means it needs to be dropped or lowered by the length of the stud/bolts extending from the new mount.

whether you call it dropping or lowering, the crossmember must come down enough to slide the mount in.

how many bolts are holding the crossmember to the frame? with a jack supporting the crossmember, loosen or take out the bolts to the crossmember and lower the jack a few inches.

(Stay tuned.)

:thumbup: :eyes: :thumbup:

OK, I have a vibration at idle and in drive. I suspect it's due to the tranny mount or drivers side motor mount (looks more squished). So I want to replace all three at once and prefer to have them all made in the good Ole USA. :patriot:

I keep reading Brown Dog is so awesome so I want to give them a shot.

Back