• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aux fan

87m6chris

NAXJA Forum User
Recently pulled all of the A/C out my XJ mostly cause I never use it and to save on weight, since I did that the Aux fan doesn't come on even with the water temp needle about to red line. So thinking about running a switch to the cab so I can turn it on manually.
Any comments, ideas, cautions?
Thanks,
Chris

I have done a switch.... it's a very nice option to be able to have the Aux fan running constantly esp on hot days, driving up hills, and most of all on the trails. It keeps temps down considerably.

I have two s-blade style electric fans hooked up to a flexalite adjustable temp switch routed through a three position rocker switch so I can turn constantly on, off or straight through to the flexalite controler. I like this set up because I can run it constantly in heavy traffic on hot days or turn it off to cross deep water then put the switch on bypass and let it run automatically.

Does the fan even work? Try jumping it straight from the bat. to see if it even comes on. JIM.

Hallo. On my '92 the A/C is switch off with the electrical connectors disconnected.
Still the aux fan is working, when the engine is at 210.
Maybe your fanrelay has broken. Try to jump the pins of the relay or do what ILLXJ suggested.
A cabin switch is also a good idea.

'92 XJ wim

Truth of the matter if you live in Canada, at this time of year, and your temp gauge is almost hitting the red you have more problems than the aux fan not running.

Unless you are operating a snow plow.

It should come on between the 210 and next up mark. Not sure which year (I see in your profile 92/95 which are the same). The PCM should still turn on the aux cooling fan. If your going to add a switch just feed the fan directly (either through a 25A switch or relay). That will prevent you from causing damage to the PCM.

Back