• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fron u-joint years

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

ive got a friend who needs his axle u-joints up front replaced. a few years ago he snapped his front Driver side shaft so i gave him a spare i had, and i dont remember what year the spare dana 30 i had came out of. so tomarrow when he goes to the store hes going to need to get both the 260 joint and the 297. what years should he tell them to search for in order for him to get both sizes

thanks

if he wheels USE ONLY SPICER JOINTS. trust me

anyway 87-somewhere in 95 uses the 260's and somewhere in 95- 01 uses the 297's

the 297's were also available in all xj's with abs

Last edited:
he does wheel, so ill tell him to get spicers. the last pair he bought were advance "brute" brand...absolute junk. i dont think ive ever seen them last over 6 months on anything that ive installed them on.

hes got to head back to school tomarrow so this is going to be a rush thing to try to get it done.

Instead of a 297 you should pick up a Spicer [FONT=&quot]5-760X. [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The cross of the 760 is cold-forged instead of hot forged making it more durable. That is if it is ABS equipped :)
[/FONT]

I haven't had any luck trying to find a parts store that carries spicer u-joints.[/QUOTE]

same

i went to the jeep dealer and asked them what brand u joints they carry, they said "MOPAR" i asked, "well spicers are original equipment on jeeps, do the joints say spicer?" her "no they say mopar" i asked "ok can i see one?" replied-"i gotta order em" "me- ok well how much?" her- "$76.95 each"

I'm reasonably sure that at least one or two NAXJA sponsoring vendors carry Spicer. You might have to go to a local driveline shop to get them if you're in a hurry, though.

same

i went to the jeep dealer and asked them what brand u joints they carry, they said "MOPAR" i asked, "well spicers are original equipment on jeeps, do the joints say spicer?" her "no they say mopar" i asked "ok can i see one?" replied-"i gotta order em" "me- ok well how much?" her- "$76.95 each"

Yeah I had a wheelin buddy that went and bought a few u-joints from the dealer to keep as trail spares, and they are correct, the box says Mopar, but if ou open it up and look at the u-joint, it has Spicer cast into the cross.:eyes:

I am running the Duralast "gold" u-joints on my trail rig (Didnt have time to wait for them to come in mail) and they lasted several trail runs without a problem (knock on wood)

I will want to order 2 set of Spicer and full circle clips for both of my axle shafts (one's a spare)

I am running the Duralast "gold" u-joints on my trail rig (Didnt have time to wait for them to come in mail) and they lasted several trail runs without a problem (knock on wood)

I will want to order 2 set of Spicer and full circle clips for both of my axle shafts (one's a spare)

everytime i used a brute force or duralast gold they ended up breaking on the first trail run

i never run them in my front axle, but stick em' in a driveshaft if i need one to get me rollin quick.

it worked fine for me even with a rock crawling run. Just saying, not saying that they're just as good, they work for me.

I looked at napaonline.com but couldnt find spicer u-joints unless they say they're in box with different brand or only sold in Canada LOL

EDIT: I just called to Napa, they said they DONT carry Spicer U-joints

Last edited:
If he doesn't mind waiting for them to ship he might want to go here to get them: http://www.alljeep.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?products_id=167577

I haven't had any luck trying to find a parts store that carries spicer u-joints.
X2. I'm pretty sure all orders from alljeep are handled personally by the guy who runs it, I ordered an 8.8 to 1310 flange from there (best price I could find online by 25-30% margin at least) and I had a personal email from him the same day telling me what the progress on the order was, this continued throughout the process till it showed up on my doorstep.

I haven't had any luck trying to find a parts store that carries spicer u-joints.

same

:roflmao: gotta love the dealership parts trolls... some are really good, some just blindly read the computer. One of the guys at Harr Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge is pretty good, and the guy I talked to at the local Ford dealer, but I've run into my fair share of screen readers.

I'm reasonably sure that at least one or two NAXJA sponsoring vendors carry Spicer. You might have to go to a local driveline shop to get them if you're in a hurry, though.
I know National Drivetrain stocks some common stuff, and can order the rest AFAIK. Along this line, I'd love to see alljeep as a sponsor, think I should email the guy and see what he thinks or does this usually start with NAXJA contacting the vendor? I'm not sure he'd give any kind of a discount, but his prices are already amazing as-is.

if you can find a local driveline shop they would probably carry spicer joints. thats the only place that carries them in my area. no parts stores. i have been running neapco u-joints without a problem for a while now in both my axle shafts and one in my front DS. i have heard good things about them and they are 760x equivalent which is an upgrade from 297's.

Back