• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case compatability 231/sye, 91 and 01

Skullver

Still Flailing
Just wondering if there is any noticeable difference from a 91 23-spline 231 to a 2001 23-spline 231, rockauto shows a different part number but the description is the exact same. Got somebody wanting to buy my transfer case/sye from my 91 and put it into a 2001. I was under the impression they are the same but would like confirmation from those in the know so we are not wasting our time.
thanks!

I'm thinking i read somewhere that the rear of the later 231 cases do not have a support bearing in the back of the case, which is why the later XJs have more problems with driveline vibes after the lift. I would think that as long as the input shaft splines are the same it wouldnt matter what was in it. might have to swap the speedo hookup from his 01 case to your 91 case though, but that is easy to do.

I'm thinking i read somewhere that the rear of the later 231 cases do not have a support bearing in the back of the case, which is why the later XJs have more problems with driveline vibes after the lift. I would think that as long as the input shaft splines are the same it wouldnt matter what was in it. might have to swap the speedo hookup from his 01 case to your 91 case though, but that is easy to do.

Thanks Grimm, it already has a PORC slip yoke eliminator installed so that should not matter as far as I can tell, I already pulled my VSS so he can throw his in, I know the hole is the same, the part description is the same from Rockauto so I think you are right, the only difference is in the tailcone which is replaced with a fixed yoke. Thanks! Just want to make sure before we parts train, he pulls his case, etc etc.:)
cheers

Part-time light won't work.

'91 had the disco D30, so it had a vacuum switch on the back of the t-case (which can be plugged), however the part-time light ran off the diaphragm on the axle disco housing. On the 92+, there was a switch towards the front half of the tcase for this.

Not sure if it matters for you or not.

Part-time light won't work.

'91 had the disco D30, so it had a vacuum switch on the back of the t-case (which can be plugged), however the part-time light ran off the diaphragm on the axle disco housing. On the 92+, there was a switch towards the front half of the tcase for this.

Not sure if it matters for you or not.

no disco on this one, it had a non disconnect d30 and there are no vacuum lines, speedo is electrical. Not sure on the shift indicator light, is there an easy way to tell by looking at it? I have it sitting right here.
Thanks!

Just checked, my case has a plastic plug with two pins towards the back of the case for the shift indicator light, anything else that may be different?
thanks!

Last edited:
Back