• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Yoke In & Out ?

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
I have noticed a pretty bad knocking sound that comes from the driver side when i am in reverse and brake. I have went under the jeep and the only thing i can really see that doesn't seem right is the front drive shaft yoke has a bit of movement in and out of the Tcase.

Most of my searching has shown to verify that the yoke bolt is tight, which i have done. I am not sure if this is the cause of my problem, normal at that or not.

Your comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Pete

94 Jeep Cherokee 4.0
231 Tcase + SYE

It is normal for there to be axial play (in and out movement) of the front output yoke. About up to 1/4" would not worry me. The things that cause this kind of symptom are loose lower control arm bolts, cracked or broken upper control arms (if they're stock) and a bad trans mount.

I took a look today and found no looseness in any control arms (RE adjustable ones) or the track bar & mount.

I did notice that the driver side coil spring clamp screw is loose and seems to be stripped. I am not sure if under normal driving conditions that would cause a clunk ?

Ideas, Comments ?

Back