• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Complete Drivetrain Swap?

97XJDX

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, looking to swap 4.O/AW4/231 from a 96 into a 97 which has a 4.O/5 spd/231. Want to take the 97 from manual to auto. Besides swapping the pedals and other minor stuff. I'm guessing the wire harness from the auto along with ecu/tcu. What else would be needed? I'm thinking it couldn't be that difficult since the entire drivetrain will be swapped. Thanks.

I think the wiring is going to give you fits, among other things, your gauge cluster is going to end up pretty interesting.

EDIT: imo, your best bet is to swap the engine in and use the 97+ electronics and sensors on it. Then do a 97+ manual to auto swap by getting the relevant wiring harnesses, ECU, and TCU off of a junker/part-out. Check the writeup in the writeup/FAQ subforum on how to do that, it's an auto to manual swap but will give you a very good idea of what is needed to reverse the process. The 96 is somewhat of a redheaded stepchild of the XJ family since it's half like the 95-down but has some of the 97-up electronics and fuel delivery system and OBD-II grafted on.

Thanks!
I think we'll try the eng. swap first and have to teach my friends daughter to drive the 5-spd. The 96 has only 52K miles on it and the 97 has 180K miles.

Last edited:
Back