• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding Drop Brackets?

md11fan

NAXJA Forum User
Well, lately i have been doing some thinking about my front end.

Last week i had a interesting accident where the lower control arm bracket fell off on the axle side, while driving at about 40. it sent me over the median and into the oncoming lanes. luckily i didn't hit or hurt anyone. I got it welded back on by a near by body shop, and it hasnt acted up again.

Before this little incident, i have always noticed that the axle has always been off. it always feels like it leans to the right a little bit and the right side coil spring is bowed enough to hit the sway bar. When i got the RC drop brackets i thought it might help it, but it only made it better marginally.

Anyway... when i installed the Drop brackets i bolted them on, yada yada... when i had this little accident it ripped the one of the right side bolts out clean. so im rolling with both sides missing a bolt on the bracket supports. A couple times a day i hear this nasty clunk when i accelerate from a stop, and everytime it scares me cause i keep thinking the LCA is going to fall off again. Any ideas :confused:

I want all the creaks and pops to stop, so here are my options.
1. weld the brackets on and make sure everything is bueno
2. Run it the way it is until it breaks
2. save up my pennies for a LA kit with crossmember
3. sell the heap

Thanks for your time,
-John B.

Sounds like you need to adjust your track bar or get an adjustable one. With the front end being off alot it can put the CA's in a bind and over time can wear them or other components. Fix the alignment issue, get some bolts in the drop brackets, and go from there.

I just installed mine and the self tappers never hold up in the uni rail - i plan on stitching the braces on - i have no plans for long arms but in case i need to remove them in the future, they are easily accessible... not totally needed because they beackets are sung and beefy but it can not hurt - my uni rail was already dented so i did not get a very good contact with the braces... oh I am talking about the RCX DB system fyi

rc has the long arm kits for like 600 thats supposed to be great. After a scare like that ide just go ahead and go for the long arms, besides arent we do another "stimulas check" hahaha

Back