• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much lift to get my steering wheel off center...

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
So I "just" (just = a couple months ago) took my Jeep out of storage; it has been put away for 18 months. Since taking it out, I have just about completely replaced the floors with 18ga steel and installed new bumpers.

When I drove it across my yard out of the storage tent (before floor pan work and bumpers) I also took it up and down my street just because I wanted to. At this time I did hear my trackbar relocation bracket "clunk" a couple times so I know it's a bit loose, I will be addressing that separately. Even with the bracket being a touch loose I didn't notice the steering wheel being off-center at all.

Anyway, after doing the floors and bumpers I took the Jeep out for its first drive during/after a snow storm. I just drove around the block (the Jeep was not registered); I just drove on my small local street to make sure 4wd, clutch, etc was still working before I started paying for insurance.

While out on that drive I noticed that it seemed my steering wheel was maybe 10% off-center. That is a rough guess as to how far of it was, but still, it wasn't perfect. I know it varies depending on bumper weight and spring rate, but how quickly does the steering go off-center due to a variation in lift height? The bumper was relatively light and I have very stiff springs. It doesn't appear that I lost much lift at all. I just don't know how much movement to expect.

Doing some quick mental calculations (read as: guesstimations) a 10% change in steering would equate to approx a 0.3" decrease in lift. Does that sound about right for stock steering?

Oh, and almost forgot the most important stuff... BDS 3" lift (actually netted somewhere around 3.5" lift), stock steering, stock control arms, pretty much stock everything else I think.

Last edited:
I'm sure you know this but centering the steering wheel is simple, just loosen the drag link coupler and adjust until the steering wheel is centered. Or was this meant to be a math problem???:)

I'm sure you know this but centering the steering wheel is simple, just loosen the drag link coupler and adjust until the steering wheel is centered. Or was this meant to be a math problem???:)
Not meant to be a math problem.

And yes, I know it's a simple task to get the steering wheel straight. It was more a "does that much variation sound about right, or do I have some other problem I should be looking for?" question.

If being 10% off center sounds about right for a very minimal change in ride height, then I will just adjust the drag link and go on my way. If the steering should not be that far off center, I will be looking into any other possible issues before I just go adjust and forget.

Any amount of lift will move the steering wheel to the right.
Well then that's good, mine moved to the left (as would be expected if I lost lift due to weighing it down). I guess that my question is answered well enough, Just didn't know if my 10% figure was way to much movement for a minimal change in lift.

Slightly related question, if my steering wheel is off-center to the right, would that mean I need to lengthen my drag link?

Slightly related question, if my steering wheel is off-center to the right, would that mean I need to lengthen my drag link?
Yes. Depending on how far off to the right it is you should be able to just adjust it to compensate.

Before I'd start centering my steering wheel, I'd insure the axle is centered under the front-end first. A change in front suspension height will cause the axle to shift. If you raised a stock track-bar at the axle--that's the same as lowering the suspension, resulting in the axle moving to the passenger side. You need to correct for that before adjusting the drag link.

I already have an alignment after the lifItt so that should be OK. 's just the steering wheel location (and yes, the alignment would shift a very slight amount). I understand that the axle will shift, and for the next few weeks I am just going to deal with that slight shift until I pick up some coil isolators for the front and install my shackle relocation brackets out back. At that time I am picking up an adjustable trac bar

Just remember that anytime you come back from a wheeling trip and find your steering wheel "off-center",you probably lost a little lift and your toe will be "off".

Back