• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

muffler

I have a thrush welded muffler on my new XJ. The PO told me he paid 40 bucks for it. It sounds good at Idle but doesn't drone excessively at highway speeds. I have no carpet and can't really hear it at all when going down the road unless I hammer it! :D

anything will get you more power than the stock one. unless you get a dirt cheap piece of crap, anything will work better. older mufflers are quite restrictive. ive run a dynomax superturbo and a ultraflo. the superturbo was a little quieter but definitely worth the 40 bucks.

I ran a cherry bomb 20$ POS muffler on "custom" routed exhaust (side exhaust) for a while. It was pretty loud, I will leave it at that. Performance wise, I can't say I noticed any difference, however I was running on 33's with stock gearing at the time that I installed it so maybe it was already too much of a dog at the time to feel any change, though I doubt there was much if any.

I just took the Jeep out of storage a couple weeks ago (it was put away for 18 months) and installed a dynomax cat back. I think it the kit was $150 before rebate and seems to be quite nice. I have heard from a number of people that they really like it, however I don't have any street time with it yet. The kit sounds good at idle and doesn't seem like it will drone too bad on the highway. It's ALOT quieter than my cherry bomb, which isn't a bad thing.

I am sure someone else will chime in, however my rig is getting registered tomorrow and I hope to put some miles on it this weekend, so I can give feedback after the weekend if no-one else does before I get around to it (mind you I am still on stock gearing and 33's).

I have a thrush welded muffler on my new XJ. The PO told me he paid 40 bucks for it. It sounds good at Idle but doesn't drone excessively at highway speeds. I have no carpet and can't really hear it at all when going down the road unless I hammer it! :D

$40? i paid $20 for mine brandnew at an 002 auto store :dunno:

i second Flexd's comments about the sound. my thrush sounds really throaty from idle up to about 1400rpm. when cruising in 4th (auto tranny) at about 1300-1500rpm that thing rumbles :thumbup:. above that, no drone at all

as for the dynomax catback, i have it on my DD and in my opinion it sounds just like a stock exhaust, except slightly louder at idle

i still think the magnaflow catback i had on my old xj with the 5spd tranny sounded the best. expensive though. maybe people have had luck just using the magnaflow muffler

Last edited:
Well I went in the direction of wanting a very loud exhaust. I went with the flowmaster super 44 offroad edition muffler. Its loud as heck but I love it. There's no freeways or highways around where I live so I never have to worry about that really annoying sound. plus it looks cool haha

flowmaster_44.jpg

Find a muffler of you choice.. and find a good local shop that has a mandrel bender to bend up your pipe.

Flowmaster 40 routed out through a tailpipe no cat or hi flo to keep it legal....sounds amazing!

Nominated. No cat and Legal in the same sentence? You sir are confused! :doh:

Thats what I am running with a pre-axle dump. Lots of drone...

Well, put a tailpipe on it, Duh! :D Everything will drone if you are dumping it before the axle.

I use a Flowmaster Delta 50 series and love it, sounds great, doesn't drone at highway speeds and is quite in cab but outside the heep it gives a nice throaty growl and compliments my header nicely, I've been running it for about three years and have no signs of rust (mind you I'm in FL near the ocean too). I didn't notice much of a performance gain until I resolved the rest of my exhaust issues(cracked header, stock cat). I've got a Banks style header and straight 2.5" all the way back with no cat so I'm sure that helps also. I also have a square borla tip on the end that I got for $5 at a garage sale, it is nice but I would never pay $50+ for it.

Last edited:
I've got a Banks style header and straight 2.5" all the way back with no cat so I'm sure that helps also.

Why, no cat? That is very illegal and modern ones don't rob any horsepower!

X2 on what Flexd said, I droned like crazy with no tailpipe (it came out of the outlet of the muffler and I was too lazy to reattach it for a few weeks) but sounded fine again after I threw the tailpipe back in.

Why, no cat? That is very illegal and modern ones don't rob any horsepower!

At the time I thought it was a good idea, however a high flow cat is on my list of to-do projects for the heep because after researching high flow cats I realized the fact that you just pointed out, but to be quite honest I just like the sound with no cat, it's purely personal satisfaction at this point.

At the time I thought it was a good idea, however a high flow cat is on my list of to-do projects for the heep because after researching high flow cats I realized the fact that you just pointed out, but to be quite honest I just like the sound with no cat, it's purely personal satisfaction at this point.
I had a buddy who ran his old one iwth no cat. it sounded like a V8 with the super 44 muffler it had but It was too loud for my taste. Glad to hear you aren't a d-bag like a lot of guys and you are planning on fixing it.

I had a buddy who ran his old one iwth no cat. it sounded like a V8 with the super 44 muffler it had but It was too loud for my taste. Glad to hear you aren't a d-bag like a lot of guys and you are planning on fixing it.

That's actually the main reason I plan to change it, douchbagery seems to be running rampant in this country and I don't want to contribute to it.

That's actually the main reason I plan to change it, douchbagery seems to be running rampant in this country and I don't want to contribute to it.

:roflmao: Thats funny right there! :cheers:

Back