• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep stalling while driving

jeepster96

NAXJA Forum User
ok my jeep stalls out for no reason, it will start up and drive great one day then the next or when ever it will stall out and die when i slow down to make a turn, or when i just back up and then put it in drive. it also sometimes wont start after i shut if off and then restart it after a few min. and to get it started i have to pump the gas and it spits and sputters then i stand on the gas for a sec and it suns fine. any ideas

Last edited:
As there are a number of possibiliites, test your way to a solution. Finding your problem is a process of elimination. Simple to complex strategy.

I would start by getting a hold of a fuel pressure gauge (they can be rented at many parts stores) and checking your fuel pressure. Compare your readings to factory spec.

Testing your throttle position sensor also wouldn't be a bad idea. Manual and a meter will get you there.

Other possibilities include a marginal battery (load test it) and a severely carboned up idle air control. Cleaning it and the throttle body is never a bad idea.

i would start by installing a new fuel filter and go from there

Test your way to the answer.

I would start by inspecting the wiring for the CPS/CKP; you may be stalling due to a poor/dirty IAC; the poor running after a restart could indicate that the PCM is loosing power and has to reset.

I'd probably start with the basics, checking/replacing spark plugs/wires, cleaning the throttle body out good (taking it off and the AIS motor, using cleaner and a toothbrush), maybe run some decarb cleaner through the motor. You shouldn't have to use the gas pedal to start it. Pressing the gas pedal in any position but wide open and cause flooding during cranking fouling spark plugs.

You could have a problem with a dirty throttle body, fouled spark plugs, bad coil, bad plug or coil wires, poor power connection to coil, CPS issue, etc...

Do you have any stored codes?

Back