• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plugging hole in Intake manifold?

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I just took out my HVAC system and in the process found that I could remove the vacuum canister that usually sits in the front bumper as well as all the vacuum lines going to what used to be the 4x4 stuff.

I traced one hose to the intake manifold and was curious if I could simply plug the hole with either a plug or simply a bolt.
006copy.jpg

Seems like all it does is just provide vacuum for the 4x4 and HVAC and since both of those are now gone, can I just pull it and plug it? I never had cruise, so dont have to worry about that either.
008-1.jpg

If that's all it's connected to, no problems, although if you ever have to go through an emissions inspection, they may require you to reinstall the plumbing. You could also use a pipe plug to cap it off.

If that's all it's connected to, no problems, although if you ever have to go through an emissions inspection, they may require you to reinstall the plumbing. You could also use a pipe plug to cap it off.
Thankfully I dont have to worry about inspections, so Im not worried about that. Although, why would they care if a vacuum line for the HVAC would be hooked up?

Thankfully I dont have to worry about inspections, so Im not worried about that. Although, why would they care if a vacuum line for the HVAC would be hooked up?

Because California is freaking retarded...

Because California is freaking retarded...
The Jeep lives in CA, but I dont have to pass smog.

There are so many wires and hoses under that hood, no way a normal smog guy will know that a vacuum hose is missing or not. Sounds like Im taking a trip to the hardware store tomorrow morning.

haha how does that work? How'd you get an exemption? or is it reg'd in another state? Trailer queen?

only thing I can see that you can have the use of it as you gutted the HVAC, cruise control stuff out that you should still (correct me if I'm wrong) have brake booster using vacuum that you will like to have the cansister to back up the vacuum in some conditions. I'd probably just relocate the cansister in a better location or have the line plugged and go on a trail and see if it dont bother you as bad without the cansister.

My cansister shattered so I plugged the vacuum line and I dont really noticed any negative effect, but its possible.

Zip ties!!!
:D

I already tried.
only thing I can see that you can have the use of it as you gutted the HVAC, cruise control stuff out that you should still (correct me if I'm wrong) have brake booster using vacuum that you will like to have the cansister to back up the vacuum in some conditions. I'd probably just relocate the cansister in a better location or have the line plugged and go on a trail and see if it dont bother you as bad without the cansister.

My cansister shattered so I plugged the vacuum line and I dont really noticed any negative effect, but its possible.
How does this vacuum hole have anything to do with the vacuum line going to the booster? Thats an entirely different line, and I fail to see how plugging one would make an impact on the other.

sorry i had a brain fart. you should be fine. just plug it. you dont want to have any vacuum leak or the engine will crap out in a hurry

sorry i had a brain fart. you should be fine. just plug it. you dont want to have any vacuum leak or the engine will crap out in a hurry
Funny you should mention that. I started the Jeep up to move it before I capped the hole, and man was that idle high.:sad1:

1/4'' Pipe thread for my 89.
002-2.jpg

Two vacuum lines and a vacuum canister gone!
004-2.jpg

Back