• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5L convertion?

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Who would have parts to convert a 1986 2.5l from SFI to MPI? I a looking for availability of parts and the price.

Who would have parts to convert a 1986 2.5l from SFI to MPI? I a looking for availability of parts and the price.

I swapped my 84 motor to a 964 MPI motor many years ago. You need to change the body harness since the firewall connectors are different, its not that hard so don't let it deter you, intake, TB, PS and alt were different on mine, engine harness, computer, the washer bottles are different and I believe there are other things under the hood that need addressing. Its been awhile so my memory is sketchy.

Depending on the smog laws where you are, the chevy 3.8 V-6 is a popular upgrade with lots of aftermarket support.

You mean the 3.4 I think. Not familure with a 3.8 that has the 60 deg bolt patern.

I am in the Caribbean. There are no smog laws here. As a former british colony, the examiner check that the doors close properly, the lights work and the vehicle try to stop when the breaks are applied.

The vehicle is a
1986 2wd,
4 speed manual
2.5L engine
???? rear axle (I did not look)

I was told the trottle body is bad and the radiator leaks. It need some body pannel work and the headliner is falling in the middle. It have not been driven in 3 years. The XJ belongs to a relative so there is no purchase price.

Unfortunately, there are very limited supply of parts. Every thing will have to imported from from the USVI or the US main land. I need to do a cost analysis before a single bolt is turned.

I am open to all suggestions.

There isn't that much to be gained going from TBI to MPI. Before I did anything, I would run a can of BG44K through the fuel to clean the injector. It works wonders. It runs around 20USD here. If necessary, I could make arraingements to get you a can shipped.

Back