• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My HORRIBLE Removable Flare Idea

trd_xj42

NAXJA Forum User
Let me preface this by saying, I know this is a very half assed idea, so I'm ready for any flaming.
I, like others, had to trim my fenders when I put larger tires on. I really wanted to retain the factory flare look, so I followed the write-up here.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=87959

This worked fine, but I would still pop the flare off. When I swapped in the 44, I inadvertently pushed the axle forward a little bit. Now when it flexed up I would get into the front part of the fender, so I needed some more trimming. I decided when I trimmed it I would get rid of the flare mounting system because it was a pain in the ass to put the flare back on when it got popped off, but I still liked the look.

I was filing some stuff at work one day, using binder clips, and thought that they had quite a bit of clamping force. I wondered how well they would hold a flare on, so I went to the supply cabinet and grabbed a box. To my surprise they actually did a fair job of holding the flare on.

I proceeded to trim the fender. I traced the flare on the fender, going over the holes left from the previous mounting system.

IMG_0100.jpg

Cut it out.

IMG_0107.jpg

Office supplies, meet Jeep.

IMG_0108.jpg

Flare "installed".

IMG_0101.jpg

Here is a shot inside the wheel well.

IMG_0110.jpg

Couple more, with and without the flare.

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

I now have more fender cut out than I did before, but the flare sits lower, it was at the body line. Taking the flare off is as easy as removing a few clips, just as easy to throw it back on. The clips work way better than I had thought even though it is a janky solution. I've only gotten up to about 50 mph on the way to work, and had no issue with them coming off, yet.
If anyone has a more suitable holding device, I'm all ears. I haven't seen any other solutions, but if I missed one please point me in the right direction.

If you don't mind drilling holes in your fender, you could run small bolts through the flare (from the inside lip so they don't show, if the 97+ have the same lip the 96- do) and put wingnuts on them from the inside of the fender. More secure, just as easy to remove.

yeah thats a better break away method than vellcro haha.

Its functional.
It looks good from the outside.
Not sure how well it would hold on.

Really like the idea, I just think maybe a more sturdy mechanism is needed.

Reminds me of this:
macgyver.jpg

If you don't mind drilling holes in your fender, you could run small bolts through the flare (from the inside lip so they don't show, if the 97+ have the same lip the 96- do) and put wingnuts on them from the inside of the fender. More secure, just as easy to remove.

I haven't examined an earlier flare. The lip on mine is minimal though. I wanted to get away from the holes in the fender that way it looks a little more "finished" if I decide to throw them away one day.
Eventually I want to put about 1/2" of Herculiner on the edge to give it a more finished look.

The earlier ones have a pretty big lip that get's clamped/bolted between a metal sheet and the fender. I cut my fenders and just did the rear flare the lazy way...self tappers through the flare from the outside. :D Kinda ugly, but it works, and my Jeep hasn't been good looking in a while. Maybe someday I'll get it looking nice again.

not too easy to remove once dirt and crud get in there. i did that for a while.

my favorite method of removeable flares was zip ties.
if you hit something the zip ties snap off with the flare and fender is unharmed.

awesome! The other ways I've seen are zipties and double face tape, I think Hammered used either double face tape or double face tape and zipties. Great because it keeps them on but if you rub up against a tree it tears off instead of buckling/tweaking up your sheetmetal pulling the screws out.

X2 Ilove the Idea for the inspection, This is a done deal for my rig, 364 days a year flare less and thatone day with..LOL

haha, we obviously don't live in the same part of lancaster....my 31s MIGHT stick out 3/4" - 1" and I've been pulled over at least once a year for the past 5 years.

...good luck flare-less!

haha, we obviously don't live in the same part of lancaster....my 31s MIGHT stick out 3/4" - 1" and I've been pulled over at least once a year for the past 5 years.

...good luck flare-less!

LOL I am running 32x11,50's now, and Iused to run flareless 33's arounf lancaster in my black 90... LOL I dont go out a lot at night, and Im old..LOL the cops leave us old guys alone..LOL 36 old..LOL

Yeah, this is for mall crawlin' only.
I don't believe we have tire laws here, so I don't need it for that.
This is purely an aesthetic thing for me, plus I don't have to store the flares if they're on the vehicle.

LOL I am running 32x11,50's now, and Iused to run flareless 33's arounf lancaster in my black 90... LOL I dont go out a lot at night, and Im old..LOL the cops leave us old guys alone..LOL 36 old..LOL
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

what

:huh:

Back