• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ax-15 to Aw-4 swap

KingCopa

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys Im new here so bear with me please. I have done the search function and have not been able to find what Im looking for. I have a 94 with a 4.0 and ax-15. I want to swap in an aw-4 and basicly Im looking for a shopping list of everything I need to go from 5 speed to auto so I can start getting all the parts together. There is a ton of info on the site it just seems everything I found is swapping the other way from auto to 5 speed, Thanks in advance

I will watching this to see where it is going... my ax 15 is soon to explode along with the np231 behind it. I have a aw4 with jeep np208 sitting in another jeep. I know how to make it shift like a manual but to make the jeep do it is the question.

I have done this swap. I have a 92 XJ and put in a 96 AW4. I wanted a 242 transfer case and lucky for me there was one bolted up to the AW4. I took the front and rear drive shafts from the donor vehicle and kick down cable. You will also need the transmission computer and connector for the wiring. I didn,t want to go to all the work of changing the wiring harness so I ran my own wires from the tranny computer out to the points they needed to connect to. This was way easier! The TPS from a 96 is the same as a 92 so I didn't have to change that. I did not hook up the neutral start switch because people seem to have lots of trouble with them and its easy enough to just remember to start the truck in park. Get a factory service manual and study the wiring diagrams. Don't be intimidated by the trans computer. Think of it as a box which has wires going out to look at different points. There are only a few points, I don't remember them all but the wiring diagrams in the manual will show you what they are. Make sure you get every wiring connector that is on the donor trans and leave a few feet of the original wire attached to each connector. For example the tranny computer will have a few pins on its connector which connect to the TPS, speed indicator, brake switch, shift solenoids etc. You just run wires from "A" to "B" so to speak. If you are not good with wiring diagrams get someone to help you. Also do a google search for Stu Olsens jeep or try this link http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/aw-4/aw-4-1.htm He has a very good write up on doing this.

Ok guys Im new here so bear with me please. I have done the search function and have not been able to find what Im looking for. I have a 94 with a 4.0 and ax-15. I want to swap in an aw-4 and basicly Im looking for a shopping list of everything I need to go from 5 speed to auto so I can start getting all the parts together. There is a ton of info on the site it just seems everything I found is swapping the other way from auto to 5 speed, Thanks in advance

If you get rid of your AX15 Im interested in taking it from you... Let me know

Back