• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

simple steering Question!

tj'sxj

NAXJA Forum User
when i quickly throw the steering wheel from one direction to the other it clunks and has some play, what exactly is worn?
How long can one possibly run it this way with only mellow wheeling?
Have an average cost to do the fix?

thanks TJ

If you only wheel it, and don't drive it on-road, I say wheel it till it breaks...

No real way to tell what's worn out without being there, grab a helper (bribe with beer if required) and have them turn the wheel back and forth lock-to-lock while you look at the steering linkages till you find the one that's loose. Replace parts as necessary.

It's likely the same thing that I and a few others seem to have come across recently. If you look on the steering shaft just under the brake booster there's a rubber bushing there with a metal tab sticking out between the two metal ears going to the u-joint. That rubber bushing has probably broken loose causing the slop in the wheel. Only 2 options are replace the shaft with one from the JY or dealer, or put a couple of washers between the tab and sides and hold them in place with a hose clamp. Option 2 I've been told was effective and has lasted for quite a while with no big problems.

it might possibly be the trac bar. connects the axle to the jeep. thats what was clunking on my jeep and i just tightned it up and went away

ok there are several things that could be making your steering clunk. you could have a worn rod end on your steering, your tack bar bushings could worn (the track bar goes from the frame to axle), the steering linkage itself could be worn. i would recomend having someone else sit in the jeep and turn the wheel all the way to left and then right while you sit and watch to see what has play in it and where the sound is coming from. it depends on what it is that causing the problem on how long it will last.

Back