• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-using wheels studs

Markos

NAXJA Forum User
I've read concerns from naxja members about re-using wheels studs. I plan to remove them with an air hammer. Any issues re-using a stud? Thanks!

I've read concerns from naxja members about re-using wheels studs. I plan to remove them with an air hammer. Any issues re-using a stud? Thanks!

I haven't has a problem. Removal is as simple as using a sacrifical acorn nut, and wacking it with a 5lb hammer.

To re-install, you will need something to suck it in. I have a cresent wrench I use for that. I put the stud in the flange, though the handle onthe cresent (which I have greased), and spin the nut on tight. Then I get out the air gun and pull the stud into the flange. Make sure it seats all the way.

Ron

Why re-use them when they're only $2 each? I'd rather drop the $20 to know they were new if I was taking out the old ones with an air hammer.

The reason you are reading concerns is because the wheel studs are knurled to fit tight into the flange. Once they are installed the tops of those knurls crush down and ensure a tight fit in the hole. when you remove them and install them again the knurls are already crushed and will not seat as tightly as a new one.

I've seen them re-used, and work fine. I've also seen them re-used and either spin in the flange when trying to torque them down, or worse spin in the flange when trying to remove the wheel on the side of the road. try removing a lugnut when the wheel is on and the whole stud is spinning.

hit it from the side with an air chisel if you can, if the lugnut was down in a pocket i dunno what the hell you would do. :dunno:

not much need for searching for new ones. easily available at your local NAPA

Back