• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end scoots when turning

m42duster

NAXJA Forum User
I have this issue:

You know when your in 4WD and your front wheels kinda bite and skip when making tight turns? (I am having a hard time trying to describe) Well, my 2000 XJ auto does the same thing when in 2WD.

I notice that when i make slow tight turns (mostly left) my front end seems like it wants to scoot to the opposite side. It will do it on dry pavement, but it is more noticeable is loose soil, gravel and snow.

I have no clue where to start looking.

Last edited:
Sounds like maybe your axle shaft U-joints are binding up? That's my guess.

Do you have stock steering or aftermarket?

If your T-case is not stuck in 4x4, any tire skipping or wiggling of the steering wheel is probably the u-joints binding. U-joints are a maintenance item like tires or mufflers, they need to be replaced when worn out or broken. Inspect the rest of the steering components while you are under there.

If you don't know how old the u-joints are, or if inspection reveals some wear, fresh axle u-joints should make the turning smoother. Some slight binding may still be felt on sharp, low speed turns.

It could be the front axle u-joints too. The problem is that you can't find stiff u-joints without pulling the axle. Loose, wore out ones can be inspected in place, but not frozen or semi-frozen dried out ones.

It could be the front axle u-joints too. The problem is that you can't find stiff u-joints without pulling the axle. Loose, wore out ones can be inspected in place, but not frozen or semi-frozen dried out ones.

I am beginning to think the joints are the culprit. Everything else seems tight. I will change them first and go from there.

Thank you.

I bought my 01 7 years ago with 42K miles on it. Mine does the same scooting jerking at slow speeds and tight turns as the OP described. It still does it. and its no worse now as was when I bought it. It was my first 4X4 and everyone I talked to said it was the nature of a 4X4 so I gave it no further thought as a problem.

If it were my u-joints binding as suggested to the OP, shouldn't they have completely gone out by now with 85K miles?

Also I talked to a coworker that previously worked for a Jeep dealership. He told me when sold new as part of the pre-delivery inspection, they would tighten the crap out of the track bar bracket, the one that mounts to the frame so they wouldn't get customer complaints of this very issue.

Does your XJ do this while in 2WD or does it only do it in 4WD?

Does it in both 2WD and 4WD... I expect it in 4WD but not 2WD.

Does it in 2WD forward and reverse. Like turning into a parking spot or backing out of the driveway onto the road. Like you were saying tight turn.

This past summer I set the the Jeep on 4 jack stands, fired it up and put in in drive while in 2WD. Thinking was that maybe 4WD wasn't truly disengaged. Guess what, only rear wheels turned. Put it in 4WD and fronts turned with back. Disengaged 4WD properly and fronts stopped turning. Ruled out possible linkage problem... Oh yeah, if anyone tries this, make sure the wheels are not truning when placing it in "Park".

Also thought it was tire rub on LCA's, but after close examination, Wheels at full lock both directions, there is about an inch of space there so no way it is that.

I now wish I would have thought of another test/check when on the jack stands. Turning the front wheels by hand at full lock to feel for binding. But I didn't, so I will wait for better weather before pursuing any farther.

:us:

my np242 would do this after being in 4x4 and put back into 2wd. at the time my front tires were smaller than the rear ones(came this way when i bought it) i got 4 new tires, and no problems. try to spin the tires on gravel and see if it is indeed in 2wd. if not, try pulsing the throttle as you shift from 4wd to 2wd. this is the info i have for the 242, though. if it's a 231, i have not ideas for ya. mine always worked good.

maybe the alignment is way out? but i'd expect even if that was the case to hear a smooth squeeling or something like that and not that herky jerky feel...hmmm..

Update: Just got an alignment today and my toe out was bad on the right front. Post alignment and the problem is gone. I cannot recreate the jerking when turning tight turns.

So stupid... I have been driving it like that since I bought it 7 years ago. Hope others will learn from my mistake.

Update: Just got an alignment today and my toe out was bad on the right front. Post alignment and the problem is gone. I cannot recreate the jerking when turning tight turns.

So stupid... I have been driving it like that since I bought it 7 years ago. Hope others will learn from my mistake.

Unless you've been burning through tires awfully quick this whole time. Chances are that something was bent between the time you bought it and now.
happens often in my neck of the woods. (rough winters cause huge potholes!) don't feel too bad...lol glad you found it.

Unless you've been burning through tires awfully quick this whole time. Chances are that something was bent between the time you bought it and now.
happens often in my neck of the woods. (rough winters cause huge potholes!) don't feel too bad...lol glad you found it.

Did burn up the right front tire thats what made me get the alighment. Tires are about 4 yrs old with ~20K on them. I have put about 40K miles on since I have owned it. I guess the wear was so slow I didn't really notice untill it was bluntly obvious. :doh:

Kinda curious if how much gas milage will improve... Logic suggest it should some. ;)

Back