• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield Sprayer not working

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks, my windshield sprayer doesn't want to work anymore. Im wondering if there is a fuse for it that may have blown? I couldn't find anything in the owners manual for it. The pumps are connected directly to the bottle right? I was going to spray some WD40 on the connectors and clean them out. Any other ideas?

First suspect is the pump itself, especially if only one of the two is down (assuming you have rear wipe/wash). 97 up have the tank in the left fender well, and the pumps are quite prone to rusting and dying.

X3, those pumps are tiny and there isn't much to rust before it loses something important.

I probably should have added, its a 97' sport.

I have never known it to have a rear sprayer, but there are two pumps there. The exterior of the pumps would appear to be quite corroded. I was thinking of pulling out the pumps and cleaning them out. Does that whole reservoir/pumps drop out somehow?

okay, thanks

I am having a similar issue with mine and hopefully you don't mind me asking about it in this thread.

The rear washer seems to work just fine. Nice strong spray at the touch of the button. But on the front windshield, the drivers side has a weak spray (only comes up the glass about 6-8 inches) and the passenger side doesn't spray at all. What's the best way to check if I have a weak pump? Will the pump get weak or does it just die? For now, I'll try cleaning out the reservoir and nozzles and see if that helps.

It's a 93 Country if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Out of curiousity, are the two pumps for front and rear? or are they left and right for the front? Are they wired in series or parallel?

Well I just took about both pumps. I cleaned them out (a lot of mud and gunk) and put them back in. They definitely work, I was able to shoot some water across the room from the sink. I reinstalled them in the jeep and refilled the reservoir and you can hear them working down there but there still isn't any fluid coming out. I tried it several times and still no joy. Is it possible that the lines are totally empty and it just takes more then 5 seconds worth of spraying to flush them out?

Any other suggestions?

Do you hear the pumps whirring in the Jeep?

My dad had the same problem with his Jeep, and we found that the hoses under the cowl were disconnected and were just pumping water into a low spot in the cowl. I am not sure about the 97+, but on a 89 there are a couple screws and remove the two wiper arms and you should be able to find the hoses under there.

Of course, if you cant hear the motors while they are in the Jeep, this wont help you.

could be blocked sprayers, maybe even frozen if you are too diluted. the sprayers just slide in and out of clips on the cowl, and are really easy to replace.

also to answer the question, the pumps are front and rear. fluid for the rear is pushed under the hood, into the cabin, along the ceiling, and out the top back right corner of the hatch, then down the hatch and into the nozzle. it tends to evaporate when unused and can take a while for fluid to make it all the way again

I thought it may have been frozen initially, but when I pulled out the pumps the bottle had definitely not froze.

How exactly do the sprayers in the cowl come out so I can try cleaning them?

I thought it may have been frozen initially, but when I pulled out the pumps the bottle had definitely not froze.

How exactly do the sprayers in the cowl come out so I can try cleaning them?

If it's just around the temp when your fluid freezes it will freeze in the lines before it freezes in the bottle, so don't abandon that thought entirely.

You can try jamming a regular office staple into each nozzle and wiggling it around before pulling everything apart, if that clears it up, you can either keep doing it till everything is flushed out or actually break the whole thing down and clean it out right. We used to make a lot of customers at the quicklube I worked at very happy by fixing their nozzles for free that way.

If it's just around the temp when your fluid freezes it will freeze in the lines before it freezes in the bottle, so don't abandon that thought entirely.

I'm not convinced it is the lines freezing either because for the most part they run through the engine bay. The sprayers didn't really work even after then engine had been running for an hour or so, which seems to me like it would be more than enough time to "thaw" the lines.

Back