• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 XJ creeking sound when cold

60thXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone else have a creeking sound from suspension or underbody when it gets really cold outside? my 2001 jeep cherokee 60th anniversary does that when cold. any tips or info on this?

Yes, creaking noises are common for a Unibody Cherokee. Moving to a warmer state should take care of the noises.

Does anyone else have a creeking sound from suspension or underbody when it gets really cold outside? my 2001 jeep cherokee 60th anniversary does that when cold. any tips or info on this?
I don't think I've ever driven any vehicle that hasn't popped or creeked when it first gets moving when it's cold out.

My 00 does it too. Sort of a creaking/popping noise seemingly coming from the wheel well area?

Done it since I had it, nothing ever broke. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Turn up the radio :cheers:

Only likely option is to replace the spring and control arm bushings. As they wear they can slip, causing a creaking noise. Nothing serious to worry about, but if you want to get rid of the noise, look into new bushings. For sure skip urethane upgrades, they creak from day 1 and only get louder.

My 88 was quite creaky when really cold, my 99 creaks a little less.

In general, if the creak goes away quickly as the vehicle warms up, it's more than likely not a problem.

My '00 makes a creak/pop noise. It comes from the rear shocks, which are shot. 'Haven't replaced them yet because I have a set of OME springs in the garage to go back there, and want to get longer shocks.

My dash area of my 00 XJ creeks and squeeks, is that normal?

I noticed that mine makes much more noise when it's dirty vs. clean. Like when the XJ is covered in salt from the snowy roads, when it dries, the XJ makes all sorts of strange noises, most of which seem to stem from the leaf springs. Once I spray it down, it quiets right back down. Try keeping it clean.

Back