• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Prep for towing holiday trailer.

waserwolf

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a holiday trailer and would like to take some time this winter preping my 2000 XJ for towing.

The trailer weighs in at 2300lbs, I am estimating 1000lbs of gear/water, etc. to be added for a total of aprox. 3500lbs.

I have purchased shocks which can be air infalated to level the rear end while towing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. How about the engine for overheating?

i would recommend a new fan clutch, cooling system flush, larger trans cooler, and rear disk brakes

Also make sure you get a good brake controller!

Absolutely, a good brake controller is a must with an XJ! I'd suggest a Tekonsha Prodigy or a P3. Cherokee brakes are marginal just for braking the vehicle alone.

I towed a 2,200 lb. pop-up from Chicago to Moab through Denver and I-70 3 times with my 94 XJ (5spd, but still....) You won't break any speed records up long grades, and you don't want to run in overdrive up those slopes either.

Which brings up something else.... if you don't have the full gauge package in the instrument panel, at least figure out how to mount a coolant temp gauge. Don't rely on an idiot light to tell you you're overheating, by the time it lights up, it's too late.

Please make sure that your brakes are up to the task.

A level ride is nice, but the ability to stop when/where/how you want is absolutely critical.

You're near the upper limit for tow capacity. E brakes on the trailer would be a big plus.

Engine cooling would be helped in the summer by going to a two core radiator, adding a transmission cooler, and possibly even adding a cooling fan switch. Speedway offers one that even lets you dial in the temp to suit you. Simple hookup, about $75. It works off the existing temp sensor, even if it's a late model with just the one.

Anywhere scenic will involve hills, hills, and more hills. Moving a combined weight of close to 8000 pounds with less than 225 hp is challenging.

Actually, per Jeep, the max towing capacity for a 4.0l XJ with an AW4 transmission and the tow package is 5,000 lbs.

Welcome to the world of the tow police. As you can see, people will tell you that your XJ is not up to the task, but you'll be fine. Here's what I've done to set up mine to tow my 2990 GVW 6'x12' Cargo Trailer: (And yes, the XJ with the 4.0 is rated at 5,000 pounds when properly equipped)

-Class V Trailer Hitch (duh)
-Transmission Cooler (if your XJ didn't have the factory towing package you won't have one)
-Transmission Temp Gauge
-Air Adjustable Rear Shocks

A brake controller is normally a good idea, but kind of stupid if your trailer doesn't have brakes such as mine.

Take it easy while remembering that it will take longer to stop and you'll be fine. I've towed this setup 2,500 miles round trip twice and haven't had any trouble. I do keep it out of OD to keep the transmission from hunting the right gear all the time. Also, be prepared for Fuel Economy in the ~10 MPG range.

A properly working and setup factory engine cooling system will keep you cool just fine. I've towed mine in South Texas heat with no issues.

Enjoy the trailer!

Actually, per Jeep, the max towing capacity for a 4.0l XJ with an AW4 transmission and the tow package is 5,000 lbs.
Good luck with that,my pop-up weighs 3000lbs loaded and has electric brakes.Towing isnt a problem because Im geared correctly but stopping is when doing any serious grade!

The owner's manual does list trailer brakes as a requirement for anything over 2,000 lbs. Yes, I should have noted that as well.

My XJ stops faster with the pop-up and electric brakes than by itself. LOL. Trailer brakes are important to me for sure.

X2 on most of what everyone else said.

My trailer does have electric brakes, I'm fairly sure my Jeep has a tranny cooler, my previous 2000 had 2 lines coming to a small rad in front of the engine cooler rad, it developed a leak and red fluid was coming out. Any idea where to get a tranny temp gauge, where and how to install it?

Thanks again.

Back