• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Export-model cabin air filter

casm

NAXJA Forum User
A few days ago, I ran across a used car ad in French for what I believe was an XJ. One of the items the seller listed it as having was a cabin air filter.

As far as I know it wasn't a ZJ or WJ, but from the spec and year it's also possible that he might have omitted the word 'Grand' from the name. It definitely fell with in XJ production years (IIRC, it was a '99), so I strongly doubt there was confusion between the XJ Cherokee and export KJ badged as the Cherokee.

In any event, assuming that this is indeed an XJ with a cabin air filter, can anyone outside the US advise me if they did in fact get them and what the part numbers are? I get a LOT of dust in my XJ on desert runs, and while I accept that as an occupational hazard of running around the Mojave with the windows down, I'd like to keep it out of the actual ventilation system as much as possible.

Failing that, if anyone has managed to make an engine air filter or similar work for the same purpose, I'd love to hear how you did it. I did manage to find a thread detailing how someone did it on a TJ (which is fine from a purely informational standpoint), but would like to know if there's an XJ-specific method already out there.

Can't help you find the info but if you find that you need a specific part that was only on exports let me know as I'm stationed in england and they part these out ALL the time overhere.

I could envision blocking off the area in the cowl where it sucks air now and cutting a round hole on the front of the cowl under the hood. Put a hose from it to a canister type air filter and wala. Space under the hood is a problem though.

ponyracer1 said:
Can't help you find the info but if you find that you need a specific part that was only on exports let me know as I'm stationed in england and they part these out ALL the time overhere.

Sounds good, and I appreciate the help. If you could also let me know if the fuse block was moved from the left to the right kick panel I'd appreciate it; I'd like to run a secondary on the opposite side. Was home visiting family in Ireland in July, but not many XJs seem to be running around there anymore.

andyr354 said:
I could envision blocking off the area in the cowl where it sucks air now and cutting a round hole on the front of the cowl under the hood. Put a hose from it to a canister type air filter and wala. Space under the hood is a problem though.

Why draw air in from under the hood? I still want fresh air into the cabin, just sucked in through a filter.

don't have to draw from under the hood, can run a duct wherever you want.
Important thing is to keep it from inhaling water into the filter. Though you did day you were in the desert so maybe it is not a concern :)

andyr354 said:
Important thing is to keep it from inhaling water into the filter. Though you did day you were in the desert so maybe it is not a concern :)

I think we may be talking about two different things here - I'm not looking to do a cold-air intake for the engine (already have that figured out). What I'm talking about is the fresh air vent for the cabin at the base of the windscreen; it doesn't really matter if that one gets soaked since if I'm in water deep enough to dampen it I've likely got other problems that require more immediate attention...

I know what you are talking about :) You might just have to stop to get your AC working again if it is trying to pull air through a wet mushy filter.

At the booty fab level you could just buy some bulk fiber filter media sheets at home depot and sandwich it in under the cowl piece.

andyr354 said:
I know what you are talking about :) You might just have to stop to get your AC working again if it is trying to pull air through a wet mushy filter.

OK, I see where you're coming from. Makes sense to me now :)

At the booty fab level you could just buy some bulk fiber filter media sheets at home depot and sandwich it in under the cowl piece.

Yeah, I've thought about that but I'd prefer to do something a bit more refined. Never been keen on quick fixes that turn into long-term solutions.

Back