• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5 speed to overdrive automatic swap

90red

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone swapped from a 5 speed manual with an overdrive automatic. I would really like to make this swap, but I am not sure what I am getting my self into. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. NAXJA Rules !!!!

90red

Well if it is like my '96 then you have 3.07 gear ratios in the axles. I think that the automatics come with a 3.55.

If that is the case, then you would need to consider changing your diff gear ratios. Next, you need to be sure your radiator has the hook ups for the oil cooler.

I am sure there are other things as well.

Tom Dennis

Swap

There are plenty of donors in the junkyard for the swap. You will need the computer wiring harness. Keep the same model year if possible. If not then between '87 and '90. Is this for a 4.0l?

"Little" things needed are a AT TPS (most aftermarket have both plugs) and the linkage on the TB for the TV cable. The pilot bushing or bearing in the crank may be different manual vs auto.
Of course, a flexplate and torque convertor... and shifter

As above, either a radiator with and/or adding an ATF cooler (great time to add an inline/replacable filter.)

Also the bracket for the T case linkage might be different... I haven't dropped my Peugot yet to see. If you have a Peugot as well, count on a different (cheaper) tranny mount. The X member should be the same.

Looking forward to converting both of mine one of these years...good luck with yours.

I believe my tranny is an Aisin-15 (or something like that). Will I have to change out my computer, or can I use the original and reprogram it? Also, what about the drive shaft? I was told that the driveshaft is completely different in the automatic. Can I just pull one from and automatic of the same year and install that? Luckily, when I replaced my radiator about 4 months ago, It was a radiator for an automatic. It has plugs in the outlets for the tranny cooler lines. There is a local Jeep yard here in Austin and I am not worried about getting the little stuff. I can get the shifter, driveshaft, and tranny mount along with the tranny. I am going to have it rebuilt, so it will be in good running condition. I have changed the hydraulic throwout bearing three times (all MOPAR), and I am about to install my 4th hydraulic master cylinder. I just want something simple, and a little more comfortable to drive. A 5-speed in rush hour traffic in Austin is hell. Once again, thanks for all of your suggestions. This is really helping me a lot. NAXJA RULES!!!!!!

Back