• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pilot bearing bushing

indyjeepnut

NAXJA Forum User
I did some searching and could not find how to remove it. I used a removal tool to remove bearing but I can not figure out how to remove bushing. It is pressed tight against crank with no lip to tug on. My new pilot bearing came with bushing. Should I mess with removing the bushing or just press new bearing out of new bushing and install it into old bushing already in crank?

I'm thinking that you are talking manual transmission, and think it is the same for all years, but just in case, could you give us the details of your vintage and drivetrain? This insures (hopefully) the most accurate advice.

I had a similar problem on a JY engine I bought that came from a Wrangler stick. I got the bearing out but the bushing was stuck. I had to grind the little ears off of my pilot bearing puller to get it to "grab" to remove the bushing, almost making them pointed to get in the little groove between the bushing and crank, there is one there...trust me. They also make a blind hole puller that you can get from autozone that works well too.........I've used both and each one will get the busing out. Again, I had to modify my pilot bearing puller to do this.......

The "back-yard" trick is to completely pack the area with grease and the drive a tight-fitting bolt/punch in there to force the bushing out.

Isn't there some wet newspaper trick that forces it out too? One time I drilled three tiny holes and then used a chisel to crack the bushing in pieces--not a method I'd recommend or want to do again, but it worked.

slide hammer with spreading forks on it..

I am going to go to autozone and "rent" the blind puller. Good thing they have a rental program. It's $160 to buy or Harbor junk has it for around $30.

Make sure you get the slide hammer with it if you don't have one. I had to go to a plumbing store to by an adapter to adapt the slide hammer down to the blind hole puller fittings. I think this is because someone at our Autozone had lost this adapter, hopefully yours will fit with no problems.

The trick is to make sure you get the blind hole puller attachment to fit between the little crack between the bushing and the crank. Then tighten the nut down as tight as you can to get it to spread out and wedge between the two. After a couple of whacks with the slide hammer, retighten the puller as the crack grows wider wider between the two.........

pack the hole with grease and get a wooden dowel that just barely fits in the hole. Then give it a good rap with a big hammer. It works.

pack the hole with grease and get a wooden dowel that just barely fits in the hole. Then give it a good rap with a big hammer. It works.

I think this will work on the bearing, which he already has out, but not the bushing...........

Back