• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust question

muddy xj

NAXJA Forum User
ok i know there have been other post about this but i have yet to find exactly what i am looking for. im thinkin bout just turning my exhaust out right before my passenger side rear tire. i was wondering about how i could do this and if anyone else has done this and if i could get pics from the people that have. i live in missouri and i have seen s-10 blazers and a lot of pick ups with exhaust like this, and i was wondering if anyone that lives in missouri knows if it is legal or not...thanks

not sure on the legality, if its a 2-door I would imagine its ok, usually its illegal if it exits under or X amount of inches from a door that people get in and out of (thus tucks and 2-doors are usually able to do it)

as far as doing it, the best way is to take it to a muffler shop and say i want it to exit here and pay then to do it. They will also be able to let you know of the Legality of the exit point.

You'll either have to give up some ground clearance, or cut a hole through the framerail.

X-2 on the ground clearance issue. If it's a desert/trail runner, it may not matter as much. If you ever go over rocks, the exhaust can crush shut where the pipe cuts under the frame rail. No real simple way to avoid that. You'll also have to use a short aftermarket muffler to have room to bend out in front of the tire.

Here's the setup on Zoomy97acr's race Comanche. The pipe almost touches the frame rail, and runs straight out the side from there. You can see how low it hangs.
Exhausttip.png

ok thanks...i was just wondering cause of the way my exhaust is now...i decided on just getting a new cat with a cat back system and just have it come out the stock location...right now it dumps right in front of my axle and its held on my self tapping screws cause it fell off..i have a cherry bomb glass pack and a hollowed out cat for my exhaust so i just figured i would just go all new instead of goin the cheap rout

Back