• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

post motor swap clutch problems

XJ[4x4]77

NAXJA Forum User
Just got the new motor in to my 91 cherokee with ax-15 and the clutch felt all spongy so i bled the entire system and got it back to where it should be BUT as soon as i start the engine i lose all my clutch and it will just go straight to the floor when i press it. as soon as i turn the motor off and pump the clutch about 3 times it comes right back and feels perfect again! but as soon as you start the motor, boom, there is goes again. What the hell is my problem????

Master cylinder. You just need to replace it. Bad timing with the new rebuild. Just one more little expense and annoyance.

As far as i know it has nothing to do if the motor is running or not. The master and the slave are completly independent.

could it be the master cylinder even though it works perfectly when the motor is not running?

The vibrations are causing the little cup at the end to unseat and loose the pressure inside it. The key here is that you can pump it up. That is a classic master cylinder wear out symptom

The 91 has an internal slave cylinder, right? Could be the slave cyl/throwout bearing unit is having a problem when the trans input shaft is spinning? Are you sure the clutch is disengaging when the motor is off, or does the pedal just feel stiff?

Yes the clutch is disengaging when the motor is off, I can put it in gear with the motor off and start it in gear with the clutch in and it works like it should but as soon as you depress the clutch pedal the next time you go to push it it will just go to the floor. Makes no sense to me!

Back