• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hesco head and stroker shortblock and parts

Rob Patterson

NAXJA Forum User
I have a used Hesco Aluminum head with new dual valve springs, retainers, keepers, valve seals and custom camshaft by Camshaft Innovations. The head was checked and measured by McCabe Motorsports. The dual valve springs and seals were installed American Speed Center. The head has not been installed or used since this work has been completed. The custom cam has not been installed and was designed for a 4.7L stroker motor with manual transmission.

The stroker motor went through several camshafts due to wrong valve springs and user error when re-installing new cams. The block will need new cam bearings and maybe new bearings. The engine only had about 10,000 miles on it when I received it. The stroker motor uses 258 crank and rods. I have done nothing to this block engine except to remove the old worn camshaft. I also have a HO longblock with a bad rod to use as a fresh block for the stroker internals. I have a new timing chain cover and stock timing chain, and many of the gaskets.

$1200 for the Hesco Head, custom cam, stroker short block, spare HO long block (with bad rod).

I will only separate the blocks from the Hesco hed and custom cam if the blocks and misc. parts are sold first.
Both blocks and parts: $200
Hesco Head and Custom Cam: $1000

PA180200.jpg

PA180201.jpg

PA180202.jpg

Thanks,
Rob

Hey Rob,

A little more info if you please. If I understand you correctly, the stroker block is good except for bearings. Is that right? Do you know about the guts. Are the pistons aftermarket or stock jeep? Is the crank good? What year or casting number is the stroker block and the HO block?
I'm very interested.

Dan

Hey Rob,

A little more info if you please. If I understand you correctly, the stroker block is good except for bearings. Is that right? Do you know about the guts. Are the pistons aftermarket or stock jeep? Is the crank good? What year or casting number is the stroker block and the HO block?
I'm very interested.

Dan

My understanding is that the stroker block is good except for the bearings; however, I have not disassembled the block so I can't guarantee this statement. During the earlier cam failures bearings were the only thing that were required. I have looked at the cylinders and the cross-hatch is still visible and I can't feel any ridges. The spare block is a later HO block because it has a girdle on it; but, the girdle was damaged when the rod broke. I can't see any other damage to the spare block.

Tonight i will get some more pictures and look to see if there are any numbers on the pistons. I am pretty sure the pistons are one of the popular aftermarket cast piston frequently used in stroker builds.

Rob

The stroker block is a 1994 block with a 258 crank and 258 rods. The pistons are .030 over Sealed Power 802CP. The cylinder walls look good and there are no scratches or lips that I can see or feel. I have no idea on the bearings or crank. The way the engine sits on the stand I can't turn it over to look at the mains or rods. The engine turns over very easy if that matters. The engine was built by Golen Machine.

The spare longblock is a 1997 block and head with 2 missing rods and pistons. The person I got the block from hydro-locked the motor and destroyed 2 rods and damaged the main girdle. The bad rods and pistons were removed by the previous person and I can't see any damage to the block or crank. They were going to use the block and head for another engine build.

Stroker piston and cylinder
P1060025.jpg

Spare longblock
P1060023.jpg

Here is the Data for a Hesco head as measured by McCabe Motorsports:

Intake valve: 1.9"
Intake Port Volume: 138 cc
Retainer material: steel
Chamber volume: 59.6cc
Exhaust valve size: 1.550"
Exhaust port volume 76.4cc

Head flow data @ 28"

Lift Intake/Exhaust
.100 74.5/55.4
.200 134/92.8
.300 183.3/116.8
.400 226.5/131.2
.500 255/142.4

Here is the camshaft info.

Your browser may not support display of this image.
Customer Name Rob Patterson
Cubic Inch and Engine Type 280 CID I-6 Jeep
Camshaft Type Hydraulic Flat Tappet
Firing Order STD I-6
Cam Bearing STD I-6
Lobe Separation 116.02
Overlap at .050” -16.01 Degrees

Camshaft Measurement Intake Exhaust
Duration at .020” 235.15 247.06
Duration at .050” 211.85 220.23
Duration at .200” 123.34 125.35
Lobe Lift .29762” .28680”
Rocker Ratio 1.6 1.6
Gross Lift .476” .459”
Lash HOT
HYD

HYD
Designed Lobe Centerline
114.36 ATDC

117.68 BTDC
Open at .050”
-8.44 BTDC (or 8.44 ATDC)

47.80 BBDC
Close at .050”
40.29 ABDC

-7.57 ATDC (or 7.57 BTDC)
Lift at Top Dead Center à
.0307” @ 114.36 In. Center .0349” @ 117.68 Ex. Center

Spring Recommendation The Ci springs installed at 1.800”. At 1.800” I/H:

Seat Pressure = 125#

Open Pressure = 293# at 1.324” or .476” lift

Spring Rate = 352 lb/inch
Cranking Compression 187 PSI
Vacuum At Idle 19.4 Inches
Idle RPM 750 RPM
Peak Torque RPM 3700 RPM (The power curve is very flat)
Peak Horsepower RPM 4800 RPM (The power curve is very flat)
Starting Shift Point RPM 5500 RPM
Redline 6300 RPM
NOTES: This camshaft must be installed by the “Lift at TDC”.

For directions on how to use this method, please visit the CAMSHAFT INNOVATIONS site in the “Technical Section”.

Sorry for the delay; I have been busy at work and I haven't been checking the forum as much as I should have.

As of right now I have a sale pending with FearNoFish.:D

Thanks,

Back