• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smaller PS pump pulley from JY

88 Wagonman

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know of a smaller than stock power steering pulley that I can get from the JY? This is for my '88(specs in sig). The reason that I am considering doing this is because I swapped in a ZJ box with the tighter ratio and I thought that this would compliment it nicely. I am not having any problems, the pump is new and works fine, I thought that a little extra low speed pressure would be nice. I know that I can get an aftermarket one, but I am a JY addict and a cheap bastard.

I was thinking of using one from a 98-2000 toyota corolla 1.8L

XJ specs for stock pulley
5.3125" OD
1.3125" wide
.662" shaft diam.

Toyota specs
4.80" OD
1.3125" wide
.551" shaft diam.

I think that if I drill the center of the toyota pulley out to .662 then maybe it will fit. Any thoughts?

Make sure to check the offset. Also most junkyards around here don't have just the pulley, you have to buy the pump and the pulley is on it.

Yeah, I would definately compare the offset before hand. The JY that I use is pretty layed back, if I pull it (it's easy with the right tools) then they would sell me just the pulley.

I can't be 100% sure from a picture, but the offset appears to be close.

Jeep pulley
300-301-007.jpg

Toyota pulley
300-402-007.jpg

Did you check what size pulley was on the pump from the doner vehicle?

The ZJ's with the 4.0 have the same size pulley, but the v8 models have a larger one. Technically I don't need a smaller pulley, but I would still like to try it.

MyV-8 WJ pulley is the same size as the Cherokee XJ, not larger

I was looking for the same thing... did you ever try drilling out the Corolla one?
Billy

I haven't been able to find one at the JY yet. No sense in buying one new when one from PSC is cheaper.

PSC sells a smaller pulley, I think it's 4.5". I use it and love it, and recommend it. Really helps slow engine speed steering speed with ram assist.

Back