• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

back up light problems...please help

posa88xj

NAXJA Forum User
1988 xj 4.0 auto...
the other day I went and spliced in a additonal light for backing up. i tested it before I finished connecting everything and it worked, so I put it on, mounted it, put back my tail light and then I go to back up, and now I have no back up lights what so ever. I checked the fuse and its good. then I diconnected the other light, thinking maybe im grounding everything out or something, but still no luck. I am at a lose on what to do or look for to fix this. thanks for any help

I'm guessing you just spliced into the factory wiring to power this Auxiliary light, well if so then you did it wrong. I don't think the factory setup is capable of powering a 35w - 55w light. So what you SHOULD have done, was used a relay to power the auxiliary light, and tapped into the factory wiring for the switched source.

ok, I checked the one bulb and it looks fine, i dont have spares to try, so I might go get some. and Ill check the nss. but I also checked the back of the bulb plug with a test light and on the plug and I was not getting anything, so I guess it might be the power from the nss.

Back