• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TNT LA vs. Rough Country LA

BigRed93xj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I just got a 2 inch budget boost for x-mas that I was planning to add on to my current 4.5 in lift. After some research, actually a lot of research, I decided I just can't throw my new lift on. I need to get rid of my short arm's. I dont want to use drop brackets cuz I know I would just regret it later. Anyways to my question. I've limited my choice's to the TNT LA kit or the Rough Country kit. I really like how on the TNT kit how the long arms are connected to the bellypan, its really tucked up there and out of the way. But the rough country kit has TNT beat on price, the more I look at the RC kit it looks better and better, plus I've only read good things about it. What are your guy thoughts on these two kits. If im gonna spend this much money I want to get the pros and cons of both. Thanks.

There is a guy on ebay with the Rough Country LA upgrade kit for about $600. Looks like all the parts are included. I'm planning on getting the kit if money permits.

id go TNT, unbeatable clearence, better wuality and in made in the States not India

I've read stuff about the TNT "unloading" while going up hills or something like that... Can anyone explain this to me, I know it has something to do with the radius arms....Is the RC kit radius arms as well?

I've read stuff about the TNT "unloading" while going up hills or something like that... Can anyone explain this to me, I know it has something to do with the radius arms....Is the RC kit radius arms as well?

I thought you said you've done your research. Yes. The RC upgrade has radius arms.

I just installed a RC 4.5 inch long arm kit on my 88 XJ and it was a breeze. Everything was included that you will need, and at a good price.
Good luck, Wes

I thought you said you've done your research. Yes. The RC upgrade has radius arms.

A simple yes would do. I'm more concerned with what people say about the suspension "unloading" or something. Also for the people with the RC kit. Do the long arm brackets get hung up or anything, the RC long arms look like they hang down a little more than the TNT kit. Is that something to worry about.

If funds are availible, i'd go TNT simply because of the great clearance, and mounting. I just finished installing me RC long arm this week and am not a big fan of how low it hangs down and the way to mounts to the unibody, but its all i could afford. your going to get unloading from either kit you go because of the way the arms are set up. good luck

good idea's on the bb, and the drop brackets, true long arm is the way to go.

you said you like the ground clearance, that appears to be the differance between the two.

justify it as a long arm setup... WITH A BELLYPAN. if you look at it that way, its not that much more.

tnt isnt just good, tnt is GREAT. tnt!

I'd recommend the TNT kit, but just opt for the new internal bracing option... I bent my belly skid to hell.

I have the TNT longarm kit and it is great. This system is no different from stock or any other suspension as far as unloading, it just has longer coil springs by RE up front and RE leaf springs in the rear. The parts that are TNT are just the belly pan and control arms and they are just a standard radius arm system. Suspension unloading was a problem with the revolver shackles some people run, but they're not part of the TNT kit.

The TNT kit is very stout and it drives & wheels great. The only negatives are the price and the fact that the control arms are attached to the belly pan, so if you need to access your transmission or T-case, you have to drop the belly pan, and therefore your whole front suspension. Other than that, you couldn't ask for a better suspension.

Good luck!

Actually one more thing. I am worried about clearing my exhaust that runs under the bellypan. Just recently I had a new exhaust put in, I went from 2.25 in to 2.5 in diameter. In the spot where the bellypan installs I feel like my exhaust is hanging down to far... It was the first thing I noticed when I got the exhaust put in. I was like crap "hows that bellypan supposed to fit now?" I guesss I'll have to wait and get the kit and see what adjustments I will have to make.

I bought my RC long arm upgrade kit from a vendor on Pirate. Not sure if it was a holiday pricing deal or not but I paid $460 + shipping from east coast to Utah.

Back