• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.5" lift, 5.5" shocks or go bigger?

traildmg99

NAXJA Forum User
Im going with treks y link setup, I plan to go with RE 5.5 coils and im not to sure on the leaf spring steup yet, but it will be 5.5" of lift. Probably with 33's. My question is what size shock should i go with? 4.5-5.5 for more uptravel or 5.5-7.5 for mor droop, i think thats right. Any advice would help! thanks

I went with 7.5" shocks with my RE 5.5" LA lift, and couldn't be happier. This thing flexes like a slinky, and doesn't bottom out in either direction

The answer is the same as we've been saying consistantly since before the start of this forum. The ONLY way to buy shocks is to make whatever mods you're going to make and then measure with the suspension fully cycled to see what length shocks you need.

The only other way to do it is to pick out what travel shocks you want, and then fab mounts to make that shock work.

I agree with goatman the best way to determine shock length is get the springs installed and then cycle the susp. to full bump and full drop then get good shocks to fit that length.

Yeah cycling the suspension was my first idea, but i am putting everything together at my work which is about an hour from home. i have to figure something out. Thanks for the advice

good luck getting your front suspension to compress to full bump w/ springs installed... it aint gonna happen. you install everything BUT the springs, (on the rear, you can use only your main leaf)

Another way it can be done if you can't get full compression is measure from the tire to the first thing it's going to rub. Then measure from stock shock mount to mount and subtract that measurement, this will give you compression length although I'd take an additional 1-2" off that to keep from bottoming out the shocks on full compression.Then let the suspension hang to where you want it which is usually just before the coils unseat on the top and just measure mount to mount and that's your extended length.

Back