• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are signs a fuel pump is going out

JeepZJlover

NAXJA Forum User
I think mines on its way. When i first bought the jeep when it got around a 1/4 tank it howled like mad now it does it all the time. It takes a while to get it started and even once i do its kinda sputtery for the first minute or two. And i get Power surges and then i get times where its totally lacking any power. Like it just wants to trip over itself. Is my fuel pump the cause im certainly thinking so. What are your thoughts.

Find someone with or buy a fuel pressure guage. It hooks to a valve on the fuel rail, turn the key and it should prime to about 45 psi instantly.

If it doesnt or builds very slowly then its time for a new pump. Priming the pump a few times before actually cranking can help build enough pressure to fire it off easier until you can replace the pump. I thought I needed a new pump when I buoght my XJ and my guage proved me wrong, just needed a new cap and rotor.

Change that thing out asap. Howling is very near the end. Change the filter after you change the pump as well.

the door buzzer sound very quiet, is normal, you should be able to turn the key on, and hear it prime, now, once it is running, the sound of the motor, and exaust running right past the gas tank should make it very very hard to hear if you can at all.

Thanks!
I had the tank out to do the Go-Jeep "more gas in the tank" mod. and pound out a few dents so the "new" factory skid would fit, after I was done I was aware of the pump noise. I probably just never listened before.

Still in the gas tank, but off topic.
The tank now holds 23+ gallons and the extension to the vent was very easy to make out of 1/2 inch copper water pipe, just a 90 degree elbow and short straight piece soldered together. Slightly enlarge the elbow opening and it is a snug slip fit over the vent tube. I used JB Weld to hold the extension and had my wife slip them together inside the tank because I like the hair on my arm and it's a tight fit.

Ok found out tonight pump is junk did the capacity test it filled the 1 litre bottle a 1/4 in a 1:30 seconds suppose to fill the whole bottle in 1 minute i think it failed. And for those of you my pump isnt like a buzz its litteraly a howl you can hear it over the motor and radio at max volume.

Back