• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuse blows everytime

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
88 xj 4.0 6cyl auto trans

I noticed while checking out my fuses thatmy parking Lps (fuse) was blown, so when i replaced it and turn on the jeep it blew soon as i turn the lights on.
Since i recently change the parking lights socket cuz mines kept going off and on., but since i kept it i swapped it back to make sure it wasnt the new socket and put in a new bulb.
put in a new number 10 fuse and it blew again
please someone tell me what makes this happen
ive did a visual check of the wire that i can see thats not covered and no open wire at all
please help i wondering if this has something to do with my intrument cluster lights not working or the fuse not receiving any power?

Got a test light? To save on fuses, first hook a test light up to your battery, observe how bright it is. Now rig the test light into the fuse socket and turn the switch on. When the fuse-blowing short is present, the test light will be exactly as bright as when hooked to the battery. When the short is gone the light will be much dimmer. So hook everything up and have someone watch the test light, go around and shake down the wire harnesses going to the vehicle lights. When the test lamp starts to flicker you're getting close.

By the way short to ground is the only thing that blows fuses that fast.

You need a wiring diagram. Did you get one yet? On my later model, the fuse in the Power Distribution Center (fuse box under the hood) feeds the headlamp switch. Then the current runs from the headlamp switch through separate fuses in the Junction Block (fuse box inside cabin). At that point, the fuses for the dash lights, parking lights, and headlights are all different. Which fuse blew? Under the hood or inside the cabin? Do any of the lights work? Headlights, taillights, parking, or dash?

ok im sure its my paking lps fuse that blows everytime i put a fuse in there, and because it does that none of my parking lights work or my turn signal lights well at least on the driver side it deosnt blink at all or just sitting in park none of the lights work.
(Got a tow package/trailer plug on your Jeep? Look there first if you do)
no tow package here
by the way its a 88 xj weres the ground for the parking Lps?
I seriously need to fix this and i dont have internet connection so i cant sign onto here as much as i use too but ill sign on wheni can to check answers thanks guys

Do you still have your multimeter or a test lamp? Then you put your positive on the little bump in the socket that contacts the bottom of the bulb. And put your negative to a good body ground. If you get no current that way, the broblem is leading to the socket, not the ground afterwords. If your meter or test lamp shows juice like that, then try the negative contact on the outside of the bulb socket. If it works with the negative grounded to the body, but not to the socket, THEN you have a ground problem. I think the grounds are behind the spare tire.

Another point came to mind on rereading. A bad ground will not blow the fuse. You have a short before the current reaches the bulb. That is what blows the fuse.

Last edited:
ok guys my internet connection is back on but i still need alot of help my jeeps out front so i literally ready to get this thing fixed now. I noticed another problem i got pulle dover 2 times in one night for not having any lights on in the back of my rig (what a surprise) neva noticed they were not on. so what lights are these that the cops are talking about the white lenses right? not the red ones (were talking tail lights) and about the the fuse blowing so if its caused by a short before the current reaches the bulb i literally need to trace back right?
2 problems i had to rig up my multi-meter to work because one of my leads broke the red on to be exact. also i brought a continuty tester but the bulb blew the same day
how do you suggest i find out if and where the voltage to the wire has a short cuz im clueless
oh and by the spare tire u mean the trunk right so im guess under the mats or running along the side? tryna narrow it down
my connections back up so i check in on here more
thanks guys

You have a short to ground somewhere between the headlight switch and the lights, The white lights are the back up lights. I'm sure you didn't get pulled over for that. So I take it that your headlights work. Your parking (AKA running) lights don't work and your instrument lights don't work? Your brake lights do work and the turn signals work sometimes? You will need a wiring diagram to figure this out the quickest.

I had this exact problem on my son's "free" beater. It took a little time, but after all the above diagnostics, I followed the harness along the drivers side rocker panels, removing anything in the way for a positive visual inspection. The problem was under the rear drivers door opening, under the plastic trim next to the seat. At the factory, the harness got wedged under the clips that hold the carpet and trim in place. It took years to work it's way through the insulation, but when it did it created a short that local repair shops where unable or unwiling to fix. Fixed it 3 years ago, and never another lighting problem.
By the way, this was the reason the jeep was free. If my 14 year old didn't take it, our friend was going to light it on fire out of pure frustratiion! Another XJ saved.

ok I noticed another problem i got pulle dover 2 times in one night for not having any lights on in the back of my rig (what a surprise) neva noticed they were not on.

Just an FYI.....those are the parking (red) lights you're being pulled over for. That rear circuit is tied into the dash wiring circuit, and when you loose your taillights you also loose your dash lights. It's designed that way to let the driver know if/when there's a problem with the taillights (since you can't see them when driving).

Jeff

i wanna take this to a shop but i dont have the money and man is this stuff confusing im not sure im understanding the wire diagrams i cant really figure out which is for the problem im having am i inspecting the driver side all along the wall? If so im in for alot of work huh? its just very cold out here and these confusion diagrams dont make it any easier so where exactly am i checking for power for first and how do i moved on from there cuz these thing confuse me

Last edited:
also i brought soething from walmart called a circuit tester it had 2 leds coming out of it and a glass to see the buld i brought it from the home section also a continuity tester but its small my other one from a auto store cost more and the bulb blew the first day what am i not suppose to do with these testers man i dont even know if i messed them up already lol i just need alot of direction more or less

I had this problem on my 90 xj. Turned out the head light switch was shorting. The spring on the outside of the switch was broken and making contact with another wire under the dash. installed a new switch and ta da no more problems with the lights. now if i can just get the brakes and fuel pump working.......

listen guys so far i have change the headlight switch! made sure the ground was there and everything also that was hard to get up in there lol. but i replaced bulbs that were blown which was like one would a parking light socket from another year make things go bad like this! My parking lights worked when i first put that new socket in and a bulb for that socket which wasnt my regular 2057 bulbs. But once i started to notice all the problems starting to occur after i put the new socket in i took it out and put my old one back in! could the new one blew something without me knowing or something
i dont know just fishing....... I check the ground wire thats where the spare mounts behind the panel I see its still attached and everything doesnt seem to have any cut wires or anything so should i start ripping tape off the\at area checking wires or move to another ground area? what are the grounding areas for the tail/ parking lights?

You need a wiring diagram. Did you get one yet? On my later model, the fuse in the Power Distribution Center (fuse box under the hood) feeds the headlamp switch. Then the current runs from the headlamp switch through separate fuses in the Junction Block (fuse box inside cabin). At that point, the fuses for the dash lights, parking lights, and headlights are all different. Which fuse blew? Under the hood or inside the cabin? Do any of the lights work? Headlights, taillights, parking, or dash?

i was re-reading these post and i noticed you ask me which fuse blew! In my 88 xj there are no fuses under the hood except one running right from the power line(RED) off the battery then it goes to the starter

Back