• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Centering the Clock Spring?

PUNISHER VETTE

NAXJA Forum User
So i broke my clock spring while working on my gear box. I had thought it was already broken but i guess it wasn't. Ended up breaking it and the air bag light came on.

So i got a used clock spring from the junk yard for $20 and now i'm trying to figure out how i know if it's good or not and if there is any special way to center it so i don't break this one the first time i get into the car and make a turn...

With the clock spring un-installed and in your hands, very gently, rotate the white center part in one direction until you reach some slight resistance. Rotate the center part the opposite direction, counting the number of revolutions/turns, until you get the same slight resistance. Divide the total number of turns in half, and rotate the center section back in the original direction until it is centered.

The airbag system is self testing, if any components are not functioning you will have an airbag light on the dash.

Last edited:
Very gently, turn the center part one direction until you get some slight resistance. Turn the cneter part the oppsodite direction, counting the number of revolutions/turns, unitl you get the same slight resistance. Divide the total number of turns in half, and turn the cneter section back in the orignial direction until it is centerd.

The airbag system isself testing, if any compnents are not functiong you will have an airbag light ont he dash.

That's what I was afraid of. I did this and didn't feel any type of resistance so i'm guessing the used clock spring i got was also broken by the people taking it out.

I guess i'll go ahead and install it and see what happens...

Some people have said that you can open up the clock spring assembly and re-solder the broken connection.

I prefer a clock spring that works with no need for repairs. I have had good luck with used airbag parts. If you really want them, you can purchase new parts at the dealership.

Well i did my best at attempting to find the center.

Seemed like for some reason 8 turns there was some(VERY LITTLE) resistance. SO i said what the hell and went with that and turned it back 4 turns.

Installed the thing pretty simply. So far the air bag light turned off when i started the car. Haven't taken it for a test drive yet so we'll see if i found center or not...

BUT like i suspected this still didn't solve my horn or cruise control problem so i'll have to start a new thread later about those. The cruise never worked and when i hit the horn it doesn't work but i hear a clicking noise down by the fuse box. No busted fuses that I saw last time i check though...

Okay.

So far so good. Took it for a drive and it didn't break the clock spring.

On a side note i was wrong and my cruise control now works which is a plus.

But my horn still doesn't. So i'll be needing a little insight on that.

I was worried for a second because my blinkers weren't working but i turned the flashers on then off then tried the blinkers again and they worked. So if i have more trouble with that i might be back at that assembly area.

:clap:

... when i hit the horn it doesn't work but i hear a clicking noise down by the fuse box. No busted fuses that I saw last time i check though...

The horns can get water inside and corrode to the point where they won't work.

Apply +12 volts to the horn itself for a test. Any 12v horn can be substituted.

Well i did my best at attempting to find the center.

Seemed like for some reason 8 turns there was some(VERY LITTLE) resistance. SO i said what the hell and went with that and turned it back 4 turns.

Installed the thing pretty simply. So far the air bag light turned off when i started the car. Haven't taken it for a test drive yet so we'll see if i found center or not...

BUT like i suspected this still didn't solve my horn or cruise control problem so i'll have to start a new thread later about those. The cruise never worked and when i hit the horn it doesn't work but i hear a clicking noise down by the fuse box. No busted fuses that I saw last time i check though...
X2 on what Tim said about the horns, simple enough to test. Wiring issues are common on those too. The clicking means the relay is working so the clockspring horn wiring is fine.

As for cruise, does the light come on when you turn cruise on? Does it just not stay in cruise mode? You could have a vacuum leak or a screwy issue with your brake pedal switch, those are very common issues that cause problems with cruise control.

X2 on what Tim said about the horns, simple enough to test. Wiring issues are common on those too. The clicking means the relay is working so the clockspring horn wiring is fine.

As for cruise, does the light come on when you turn cruise on? Does it just not stay in cruise mode? You could have a vacuum leak or a screwy issue with your brake pedal switch, those are very common issues that cause problems with cruise control.

The clockspring ended up fixing the cruise as well. I just didn't take it for a spin when i first installed it so i assumed with the horn not working that the cruise wouldn't as well as the two never worked when i got the car...

So i knew i had broken the clockspring i figured the only thing it would fix was the airbag light that came on but i was wrong.

I'll fiddle with the horn some other time. Had a massive problem pop up today that'll require some attention. Possible busted water pump...

I broke mine a while back thanks to a jackass at the jeep dealer not bolting the clench bolt at the steering column. when i replaced i did what said above by rotating till i got resistance and then counting the number of times it went back other way and it worked. fine. the clock spring which is actually a wound up ribbon cable can rotate twice what the xj will lock to lock. so as long as you are close then it should be good. I tried fixing my broken one with no luck

Back