• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help!! i cant decide!!!!

xjhavens

NAXJA Forum User
Hay folks. looking for a little advice. i have a 99 cherokee classic. 6.5 inch rough country lift with 35 inch coopper stt. dana 44 rear open diff and dana 30 front that also has an open diff.so heres my question. im wondering how well the d30 holds up running 35 in tires. ive been running the stock axle shafts now for around 7500 miles or so but havent really had much time off road, because of work and school. i was planning on picking up a locker and some chromoly shafts and calling it good. but for what it would cost me im wondering if it is really worth the money. so

1. how will the ball joints hold up? ( i need to replace all 4 now)

2. how will the wheel bearings hold up? (i replaced them befor the lift 7500 miles ago)

3. what other problems might come up.

what i dont want to be doing is replacing shit all the time. so im open to any ideas. im leaning towards ditching the 30 and replacing it with either a d 44 from 4wd hardware. (although you use the stock steering knuckles and everything else that go with it, so i dont see the real advantge there.) or picking up a currie d 60 also from 4wd hardware. im also open to buing a set of used 1 ton axles and doing all the work that goes with that....but i never did anything like that but would love to give it a try.sorry about the book just wanted to cover as much as i can in one post.

It all depends on your driving style and the type of wheeling you will do. I have seen people brake a d30 with stock tire and wheeling, but I ran a d30 with 36's for a year and never broke a thing. I actually started breaking stuff when I went to a d44. Go fiqure. Basically if you wheel you are going to break something... just be prepared so you don't ruin the day for the other wheelers in your group!

It took me 6-7 trips wheeling to break something on my d30 with 35's. And it was on something that I shouldnt have been trying. I also put about 10k on it with them.

I wheel the crap out of my D-30 on 35's, but mine is a bit polished so to speak. I stayed with the "Turdy" because for the trails I run ground clearance is the most important aspect in clearing the obstacles and traction is minimal at best due to the slick mud covered and wet rocks. Your plan is solid, alloy shafts and a locker. Go one step further and get a good qaulity cover like the RuffStuff to help reduce "ring gear deflection" as the ring gear will be the weak link now. The ball joints and bearings will hold up just fine.

If you want some quality shafts go with the Longfields from RCV, I have them and they are awesome. The advantage to the Longfield birfs is that they are as strong at full steering lock as they are straight, the same is not true for U-joint style joints.

Thanks for all the advise guys.I'm thinking Ill do just fine with my d30. And with the money I already put into it, I don't want it to go to waste. I rebuilt it about a year and a half ago. New bearings and 4.88 gears. I'm going to look into longfield axle shafts, and diff cover and see what happens. Thanks again!

Back