• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 XJ Backyard Build. Death Wobble master! But it looks cool. ;)

XJmatt85

NAXJA Forum User
1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo.
D30 up front D44 rear stock
Renix 4.0L I6
Yokohama GeoLander MT 35's
15" Crager soft 8's

I just purchased the RC CA drop bracket kit, the reason I purchased the kit is because I am praying that it will help eiminate my never ending death wobble nightmare. Im running Rusty's 6.5" adjustable short arm kit which included
• Front 6.5" coil springs
• Rear 6.5" leaf springs
• Front hydro preformance shocks
• Rear hydro prformance shocks
• Fixed Front Lower Control Arms
• Fixed Front Upper Control Arms
• 3" drop pitman arm
• HD trac bar
• Rusty's Frame Brace
• JKS front sway bar disconnects
• Front & rear stainless steel braided brake lines
• Grade 8 U-Bolts
• 6 degree shims

I also have pro comp 1" 3/4 coil spring spacers, Rusty's steering conversion, RE REAR SHACKLE BOOMERANG 6", SYE HACK N' TAP (RExpess SYE KIT YJ, PRE-96 XJ/ZJ) PowerTrain Industries yoke part# 3103-27c extended rear drivesaft, pro comp steering stabilizer shock and thats about it.

I do not have the jks discos, sway bar and pro comp steering stabilizer shock hooked up yet.

I plan on having a mechanic install the RC CA drop brackets, jks discos and steering stabilizer next week, I hope that solves my death wobble nightmare.

I cannot get passed 20 MPH without having the front suspension feel like its having a fatal seizure. Keep in mind I installed everything that is on the truck in my backyard and yes I made sure to tighten down every single bolt including trac bar bolts.

Im looking for a mechanic in the SOCAL East Los Angeles, CA area I planned on going to the only Jeep shop that exsist somewhat in ELA and its called Phantom Offroad but the owner or manager or whoever runs the joint never answers the phone!!! I cant go passed 20 MPH so I need the closest mechanic possible. Any SOCAL NAXJA members please help if you know any good mechanics near ELA.

Thanks for looking.

IMG00005-20091201-2309.jpg

have you tried searching? this has been covered about a million times.
Also you might try the Socal section for reccomendations on a shop close to you.

Are your tires balanced?
Have you aligned the front end since the lift?

Ofcourse I have searched, that shouldnt be the first suggestion on every post on NAXJA. Cut me some slack. Tires are not balanced and waiting to align the XJ when the CA Drop Brackets get installed.

i have the rustys 6.5 lift as well on my 99 xj and had the same problem. i couldnt go over 40mph. i ended up buying to stabalizers from rustys. i think they were $33 a piece.i only installed 1 and it got rid of the problem but rusys recomended installing the other one if it was still worse.

I ws thinking about purchasing Rusty's dual stabilizer kit but was not willing to fork up $100. If your not using the mount that mounts onto the axle I will take it off your hands.

or spend that money you would on dual stabilizers and get a real steering setup. that got rid of the rest of my wobble. I still had dw with the dual setup that came on mine when i bought it.

Get those drop brackets on, get your caster to a sane position, and then try it. Until you do that, limit your use of the thing so you don't screw anything else up. For 'searching' you sure didn't learn a whole lot. ;)

wait..

you have deathwobble. you havent balanced your tires, and haven't done an alignment. you claim you have searched, but you're still looking for advice?

why should we bother? you aren't going to listen anymore than you would have taken care the basics that are REQUIRED WHEN LIFTING.

When you are ready to pull your head out of your ass PM me, and I can give you a list of local naxja members who are professional mechanics and will help you on the side for extra cash - which saves you money..

My thought is, if you installed the lift in your backyard, certainly you can handle drop brackets, discos, and a steering stabilizer. Why pay more money to do something that it sounds like you should be able to do?

And yeah, if you searched for anything about death wobble, you'd have seen that you need to align after a lift, you need to have properly balanced tires, etc or else DW is a likely problem, and I don't mean
darkwing-duck.gif

im sure the deathwobble has nothing to do with the 8" of lift and fixed short arms

deathwobble is covered on a weekly basis, and theres like 12 things that can cause it...

im gonna x5, go search, sinse youve pissed off the first 5 or 6 people trying to help...

oh, and this guy NAILED IT:
Fine, order more crap from cRustys, dont start with the basics, see if I care.....

Good luck!

1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo.
D30 up front D44 rear stock
Renix 4.0L I6
Yokohama GeoLander MT 35's
15" Crager soft 8's

I just purchased the RC CA drop bracket kit, the reason I purchased the kit is because I am praying that it will help eiminate my never ending death wobble nightmare. Im running Rusty's 6.5" adjustable short arm kit which included
• Front 6.5" coil springs
• Rear 6.5" leaf springs
• Front hydro preformance shocks
• Rear hydro prformance shocks
• Fixed Front Lower Control Arms
• Fixed Front Upper Control Arms
• 3" drop pitman arm
• HD trac bar
• Rusty's Frame Brace
• JKS front sway bar disconnects
• Front & rear stainless steel braided brake lines
• Grade 8 U-Bolts
• 6 degree shims

I also have pro comp 1" 3/4 coil spring spacers, Rusty's steering conversion, RE REAR SHACKLE BOOMERANG 6", SYE HACK N' TAP (RExpess SYE KIT YJ, PRE-96 XJ/ZJ) PowerTrain Industries yoke part# 3103-27c extended rear drivesaft, pro comp steering stabilizer shock and thats about it.

I do not have the jks discos, sway bar and pro comp steering stabilizer shock hooked up yet.

I plan on having a mechanic install the RC CA drop brackets, jks discos and steering stabilizer next week, I hope that solves my death wobble nightmare.

I cannot get passed 20 MPH without having the front suspension feel like its having a fatal seizure. Keep in mind I installed everything that is on the truck in my backyard and yes I made sure to tighten down every single bolt including trac bar bolts.

Im looking for a mechanic in the SOCAL East Los Angeles, CA area I planned on going to the only Jeep shop that exsist somewhat in ELA and its called Phantom Offroad but the owner or manager or whoever runs the joint never answers the phone!!! I cant go passed 20 MPH so I need the closest mechanic possible. Any SOCAL NAXJA members please help if you know any good mechanics near ELA.

Thanks for looking.

IMG00005-20091201-2309.jpg
If you're willing to cover the cost of fuel, I will come out there and help you get the parts installed for a much lower rate than a shop would charge you. PM me if you're interested.

Back