• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NVH factor of various control arms

FearNoFish

NAXJA Forum User
I've tried to research this but haven't come up with much. How do various control arm mounting systems compare for NVH. It seems that rubber bushings are the least harsh. Some aftermarket companies use rubber but there are others that use urethane, heim, johnnyjoints, supperflex (JJ), etc.

I'd like some input at to what to expect from the various options on the body mount end. Also, which requires the least maintenance?

FNF

I have rubber bushings on the body side of my RE SF arms.. they need replaced once a year with alot of heavy wheeling.. no biggy

I've tried to research this but haven't come up with much. How do various control arm mounting systems compare for NVH. It seems that rubber bushings are the least harsh. Some aftermarket companies use rubber but there are others that use urethane, heim, johnnyjoints, supperflex (JJ), etc.

I'd like some input at to what to expect from the various options on the body mount end. Also, which requires the least maintenance?

FNF
Dont know what NVH is,but you already answered your own question.
Softest to hardest:
Rubber
Poly
Hybrid joint
Rod ends

When I made my own longarms I used Johnnyjoints on the axle end and urethane bushings on the body end. Liked the ride but bushings are shot after about a year and half. Changing to JJ's on the body end also. I would only do Heims if it is a trail only rig and not street driven.

As far as maintenance, Rubber all the way. No maintenance until you tear a bushing, then replace it. End of story. On a street rig, 50-100K miles, no problem, trail riding/4-wheeling, they wear faster. Heavy articulation is where they start outright failing.

Rod ends and Urethane both need regular lubrication, both to prevent squeaking and to prevent abnormal wear.

I don't have any experience with the various control arm ends(JJ, superflex, etc,) but they are all ball joints. Regardless of how self-lubricating the bearing races are, they will wear, and need adjusted/tightened to keep the slop out, and will need refurbished occasionally.

Correct on the NVH. I'm trying do make an informed comprimise decision based on a combination of function, longevity, and noise transfer to the interior. I already know rubber is quieter than Poly urethane and it seams it holds up better in certain instances where rubber would breakdown (fluid contamination). Spherical rod ends are metal to metal so I assume that they would transfer every noise and vibration directly to the body. I don't know about superflex (JJ) type joints. The ball is surrounded by dissimilar material but they could be just as harsh as spherical rod ends. I just don't know for sure. If it was a weekend warrior I wouldn't care but for now it is a daily driver also.

It would be eaisy to just say rubber but several of the arms I am looking into only come with spherical ends.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.

FNF

How much does it really matter? Unless they have slop and clack, or squeak, who cares? I think nearly everyone who lifts and wheels a Jeep is much more concerned about durabilty and maintenance than NVH.

But it's easy to figure that rubber will transfer the least and heim joints will transfer the most, if that's the main concern. That's why stock vehicles all have rubber. However, the difference can easily be not enough to be concerned with.

Back