• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will a AX15 from a 97 Wrangler fit?

ign_Cas

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 inline 6 comanche. Im thinking of swaping out the peugeot for a ax15. my buddy has agreed to sell me an ax15 including the bellhousing and t-case out of a 97 wrangler for $400. will this fit up to my engine? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Yeah, it'll fit to the engine, but not the t-case. Your trans has a 21 spline output shaft and the AX15 has a 23 spline output shaft, so you'd have to swap your 21 spline t-case input shaft to one with 23 splines.

Also, you have an internal slave cylinder and I'm sure that AX15 has an external, so you'd have to check bellhousings to make sure it will all bolt up. It's very doable, but not a simple bolt in.

Yeah, it'll fit to the engine, but not the t-case. Your trans has a 21 spline output shaft and the AX15 has a 23 spline output shaft, so you'd have to swap your 21 spline t-case input shaft to one with 23 splines.

Also, you have an internal slave cylinder and I'm sure that AX15 has an external, so you'd have to check bellhousings to make sure it will all bolt up. It's very doable, but not a simple bolt in.

He said it comes with a t-case too Goatman! :D

I think the bellhousing will bolt up, but you'll have to get the right pilot bushing. A second concern is that IIRC, Wrangler transfer cases are clocked higher than XJ cases (read: floor pan interference.)

The bell housing will bolt up.
The T-case is clocked higher on the Wranglers the on the Cherokee. (bolt circle on the back of the trans drilled higher) In a direct swap, the case will hit the floorboards. The simple fix is to re-drill the bolt circle on the back of the transmission to drop it back down.
There's a difference in the pilot busing in the crankshaft.
I think you need a new clutch disc, and possible the pressure plate.
'Don't remember what year the AX-15 swapped over to an external slave cylinder, but if yours doesn't have it, you may want to convert it over, or find a trans that already has it.
You might want to look this over:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=932437
and here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1013850
This swap and similar ones are pretty common, and there have been several threads.
By the way, I feel you pain(mine's an '87 with the poo-go, 'want to swap in an automatic)

A second concern is that IIRC, Wrangler transfer cases are clocked higher than XJ cases (read: floor pan interference.)

That could be! I hear some guys who swap in the Rubi cases get away with using a BFH on the transmission tunnel to get it to fit.

The internal to external slave swap happened either 93 or 94 (my 94 has the external slave.)

If you're going to this effort, and not putting in a new clutch disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing.... well.....

yea my tranny is an external setup. also is there any adapter that would make the t-case level out? if so what and who makes it?

so im going to end up needing:
-pilot busing
-clutch disc
-pressure plate
-throwout bearing

anything else im missing?
i also read in different places that i would end up needing a new hydraulic flow system? thanks guys i appreciate it.

I have an 88 inline 6 comanche. Im thinking of swaping out the peugeot for a ax15. my buddy has agreed to sell me an ax15 including the bellhousing and t-case out of a 97 wrangler for $400. will this fit up to my engine? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Yes, but:

1) As Goatman mentioned, you'll need to change the input gear on your tcase - or just the tcase itself. The Peugeot is 21-spline, the Aisin is 23-spline.

2) The clutch friction is the same, but there are a couple of major differences in the total clutch kit you'll have to overcome:
- The pilot on the 1997 AX-15 will be larger than the Peugeot. You'll want the pilot bushing for the early 1970's CJ-series with V8-304 and three-speed manual.
- The slave cylinder will be the "external" version - you'll need to swap the master cylinder for the later kit solution (the Peugeot is "internal" slave.)

3) The transfer case is clocked flatter on the Universal/Wrangler than it is for the XJ/MJ. You'll either need to re-drill the tcase adapter, get a clocking plate, or get an XJ/MJ transfer case adapter housing.

The first can be done with either a tcase swap or you can get a tcase input gear from Novak. The second can be handled with simple parts swaps. The third can be the most difficult.

You may want to peruse this thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70388. You'll find a lot of good, useful information for the swap proper from those of us who have done the job before!

ive been reading a lot of forums on switching out the peugeot for a ax15 and how it needs a pilot bushing from a cj. why is this????

ive been reading a lot of forums on switching out the peugeot for a ax15 and how it needs a pilot bushing from a cj. why is this????

Because it fits? :D

Yes.

FWIW, a buddy and I did this swap about 8 years ago in his 87 XJ. There were no issues with t-case fitment due to indexing. And yes, the CJ pilot bushing is correct. Oh, and keep the shifter from the TJ if you can...it's about 4" longer than the XJ one and made his life a lot easier. :D

I swapped an AX15 from a wrangler into an XJ, had no issues but I did have to add about 3/8 of inch drop to the already 1 inch T-case drop, change out the pilot and a few other small details... but overall was an easy swap!

It depends on the pilot size.

So far, I've been able to confirm that the pilot size on the AX-15 is the same as on the BA-10 - through 1993. So, they probably went to the larger pilot when they went to the external slave.

But, the pilot bore in the crankshaft also (apparently) changed size, so a simple pilot bushing swap won't fly.

The CJ bushing happens to have the dims you need to fit the larger AX-15 pilot into the (probably) smaller early pilot bore in the crank. Goofy, but it works that way sometimes (and it's cheaper than having a bushing or bearing made.)

Make sense now?

yea. thanks 5-90. i got a bushing from a 3sp 72 cj5 and it works perfect. ;) i also have a question. what flywheel should i use? im putting in a 97 ax15 for my 88 peugeot. i have both of the flywheels.

yea. thanks 5-90. i got a bushing from a 3sp 72 cj5 and it works perfect. ;) i also have a question. what flywheel should i use? im putting in a 97 ax15 for my 88 peugeot. i have both of the flywheels.

Don't change flywheels - the HO and RENIX are not RPT not compatible!

Back