• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help alternator problem and starter.and pitarm stuck

erniesXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a 91 xj 4.0 5 speed and a 90 parts 4.0 automatic will the alternator and starter worek from that one or are they difrent.could use the help thanks and how would I get a stuck pitman arm off tried everything I know shoot me sum ideas

If you don't care about the steering gear, heat, PB Blaster, and a pitman arm puller. If you need to reuse the box, PB Blaster, puller, and impact gun.

I've gotten them off with a pitman arm puller and heat. The cheap cast pullers (like I have) will break if you really reef down on them. Get it fairly tight (3/4 strength with a 12-15" wrench, and then heat with a plumbers torch (or better if you've got it). Some people have cut through them with die grinders. Obvoiusly, if you heat it all up too much, you can damage the steering box seal. I've been lucky in not having issues with that so far.

I use a good steel puller and a BFH. Tighten the puller, give it a couple good whacks, tighten the puller, whack, and repeat as necessary.

Back